Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oldie mike

Default Oldie mike

Found an olden time micrometer at a local online auction....10 bucks. Nothing fancy, but I really like it. Full set with original box and 25mm calibration plug, only the passport is missing.

Seems to be a hair less than 10 microns off. It has seen some use, but very slightly by the overall appearance. These are quite reliable breed and for the price it is a very nice find that will come in handy for some precision work

Most old mics do not have plastic cases.

It also speaks the right language. microns

Well, first off what does the standard read when you measure it with another mic? You want to start by knowing that issue of these 10microns is the mic or the standard.

Next up, does the mic zero out correctly? Or is it that same amount off when zeroed?

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    Well, first off what does the standard read when you measure it with another mic? You want to start by knowing that issue of these 10microns is the mic or the standard.

Next up, does the mic zero out correctly? Or is it that same amount off when zeroed?
    It was off by about the same amount when zeroed. But.....I ripped it all apart for cleaning and oiling. And there is an adjustment nut inside on the threads to shift the scale for fine tuning. After a bit of tinkering we have a way better picture:

And the calibration plug is off by a tenner.....it's even marked on the damn thing! How did I miss that one on the first try?

And the mic reading the plug after corrective actions:

Well, I'll call that one good for now and stop splitting hairs....

The box looks like the same plastic and similar lettering on a high-sensitivity level I got for cheap probably 15 years ago from MSC. Must have come from the same USSR tool factory.

Splitting hairs is fun when it's a hobby. And now you know you can trust the mic for use without any concerns. I'd call that a win!

If you wanted to see someone splitting hairs you should have seen me when I was having a go at seeing if I could produce a resonably usable cylinder square in my home shop without a cylinder grinder.... I still need to find time to get back to that project and try lapping it even more true. And that means splitting more hairs again.

Very cool. I like to see tools that are not the standard US, German, Japan or China. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

I bought a very nice NOS 25-50 mic with carbide tips made in the DDR, (East Germany) with a nice wooden box, spanner, instructions and 25mm length bar on ebay for 12. As good as my Mitutoyo's as well.
    The other week, also on ebay, I bought an old 10" Moore & Wright length bar for 7 including postage and tried it out with my Heavy duty Mitutoyo digital callipers, there was an error of 10 microns in 254mm, I don't know whether to bin the bar or the callipers!
    Very unusual to have a length bar included with an 0-25 mic. Or an 0 to anything mic for that matter. Does it zero now you have set it with the -0.01 bar?
    Last edited by old mart; 04-11-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    It also speaks the right language. microns
    What, Russian??? Sorry Soviet Russian.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/