Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought a Used Albrecht Chuck

Default Bought a Used Albrecht Chuck

Bought a 1/8-5/8 Albrecht chuck for 50 bucks. Seem to work very smoothly. What can go wrong with it and how do I check it for accuracy?

Just use it and marvel at how well it works.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

If you're interested in cleaning your chuck, here is the proceedure. It also gives you the opportunity to check the condition of the jaws.

Try checking with a range of drill sizes and a dti. Hopefully the runout will be 0.003" tir or better.
    I have often wondered what the purpose of the collar is on these and some other makes of keyless.
    Last edited by old mart; 04-14-2019 at 08:44 AM.

The purpose of the collar? Wouldn't that be to hold it still while tightening and opening it? Keyless chucks are a two hand operation. That's one of the reasons why I don't use them. One hand to hold the drill, one to hold the collar, and one to tighten it. OK on a hand drill, but in a drill press or mill.....
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    One hand to hold the drill, one to hold the collar, and one to tighten it...
    To tighten it up, yes, it takes two hands. To mount a bit into one, one hand to hold the bit, one hand to snug up the chuck. Once snug, the bit will remain where it is, so two hands to tighten it up is what it takes. A good keyless chuck will spin down to the drill bit just as easily as a keyed chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    The purpose of the collar? Wouldn't that be to hold it still while tightening and opening it? Keyless chucks are a two hand operation. That's one of the reasons why I don't use them. One hand to hold the drill, one to hold the collar, and one to tighten it. OK on a hand drill, but in a drill press or mill.....
    One for the drill, one for the collar, and one to tighten? That's three hands!

If it takes you three hands for a keyless chuck, I'd like to know how you manage with one hand for a keyed chuck.It can be done,of course, but if you have a second hand you might as well use it. It is easier and faster.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    One for the drill, one for the collar, and one to tighten? That's three hands!

If it takes you three hands for a keyless chuck, I'd like to know how you manage with one hand for a keyed chuck.It can be done,of course, but if you have a second hand you might as well use it. It is easier and faster.
    left hand on the chuck, index and middle fingers wrapped around the hood, ring and pinky around the drill, start/stop the spindle - but I have hands like leather. Old boot leather.

Dave H. (the other one)
    Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Quote Originally Posted by Hopefuldave View Post
    left hand on the chuck, index and middle fingers wrapped around the hood, ring and pinky around the drill, start/stop the spindle - but I have hands like leather. Old boot leather.

Dave H. (the other one)
    Yes, of course, but if you're using a keyed chuck, you have the key in your other hand ready to use, don't you?

And if someone with more delicate hands doesn't care to start the spindle, he still has the thumb and forefinger of the hand holding the drill to snug up the chuck. Either way, it seems more natural and slightly quicker to use the other hand for the key, if the hand is not needed to hold the work on the table.

So, normally a two-handed operation, with keyed or keyless chuck.
    Last edited by cameron; 04-14-2019 at 01:08 PM.

They don't all have the collar, even in Morse taper: https://www.cutwel.co.uk/tool-holdin...al-drill-chuck
    I have an Albrecht 0-10mm and a Porta 2-16mm with the collar also.