Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Craftsman Motor Bearing Help

Default Old Craftsman Motor Bearing Help

I'm in the process of going through my old Craftsman (King Seeley Corp.) table saw.
    I cleaned and repacked the arbor bearings which are #6203 rubber seals, metric bearing.
    I'm going to order some spares to have on hand. According to my notes I last did this in 1999, both arbor and motor bearings.
    I also did my Craftsman jointer bearings, both drum and motor. Both machines have the exact same motor Model # 113.19091
    I have receipts from a couple different places where I got bearings from but never marked what the bearings were for. I need t keep better notes on stuff like this.
    The jointer drum uses #6202 bearings which have a 5/8" ID.
    I'm trying to figure out what the motor uses before I end up pulling a cover to look, so I can order them all at once.

I can't find any parts lists or info on this motor other than what Sears has and it's a terrible exploded view but doesn't give a bearing number other than their parts list number which is pretty much worthless.

The shaft measures 5/8". There is a slight step that sticks out past the end bell of the motor about 1/8". That measures .663 or 16.83 mm. There may be another step on the inside of the bell end where the bearing press fits, not sure.

JL..................

I found a couple of cross references to the Sears bearing (p/n 24313)

Accurate #6203
    Hoover # 77203

Hope this is of some help.

Frank, that's pretty good detective work. I do have an old Hoover 203 bearing in my junk box that might have been one of the originals. I should have marked them.
    Where did you get the Sears pn 24313? from? I have the original manual / parts list for both the table saw and jointer but neither show a motor, only the mount.
    The 6203 is what is used for the blade arbor. The motor may use the same.

JL..............
    Last edited by JoeLee; 04-14-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Well if you must know....

I went to searspartsdirect.com entered your model number and got the number for the bearing. Discontinued of course.

Then I went to vintagemachinery.org found your motor with the listed Sears bearing part number and Hoover and Emerson cross reference numbers.

Then I went to bearingstocks.com and found a bunch of cross references for those bearing part numbers.

Searspartsdirect.com is a fascinating site. I've found in-stock parts for a 1950's era Atlas lathe there. The packing they arrived n looked like it had been on the shelf for 60+ years!

This is probably a dumb question as I'm sure you would have noticed. But does your motor have a spec plate or sticker on it?
    I know that a most of the motors in my shop list the bearing type and size on the motor's spec plate. Not sure if Sears/Craftsman listed bearing size or not????

A couple of examples:

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Quote Originally Posted by Frank K View Post
    Well if you must know....

I went to searspartsdirect.com entered your model number and got the number for the bearing. Discontinued of course.

Then I went to vintagemachinery.org found your motor with the listed Sears bearing part number and Hoover and Emerson cross reference numbers.

Then I went to bearingstocks.com and found a bunch of cross references for those bearing part numbers.

Searspartsdirect.com is a fascinating site. I've found in-stock parts for a 1950's era Atlas lathe there. The packing they arrived n looked like it had been on the shelf for 60+ years!
    That was good work, thanks. I went to vintagemachinery but couldn't find the motor. Also went to Sears parts direct. There I found this https://www.searspartsdirect.com/mod...zu3suom-000247. Now I see where you got the 24313 number from. I didn't go any further than that thinking that the Sears internal parts list number wouldn't cross with any other numbers.
    I did call Sears several years ago looking for OEM parts for this saw but I was told nothing was available. I wanted to get a new cast iron top for it.
    Could you please give me the link at vintagemachinery for the motor?
    For some reason the manuals don't give any mention of the motor, only the mount. Perhaps it's because in those days the motors were sold separately and there were many to choose from.

JL...............
    Last edited by JoeLee; 04-14-2019 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    This is probably a dumb question as I'm sure you would have noticed. But does your motor have a spec plate or sticker on it?
    I know that a most of the motors in my shop list the bearing type and size on the motor's spec plate. Not sure if Sears/Craftsman listed bearing size or not????

A couple of examples:

I have seen on a few motors where they indicate the bearing number, but not this one

JL.................
    Last edited by JoeLee; 04-14-2019 at 05:35 PM.

The IBI standard nomenclature for that bearing would be 6203-2RS-5/8" type that into Google and a bunch of vendors show up.Most will be Chinese bearings.

If you want better quality,Nachi (Japan)makes a good bearing,that number would be 620310-2NSE9

https://www.ebay.com/itm/620310-2NSE...-/131429311047

Or,there are other brands still,just make sure the bearing number either has 5/8" in the chain or 10 which is the bore in 1/16ths (10/16+5/8)
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Quote Originally Posted by wierdscience View Post
    The IBI standard nomenclature for that bearing would be 6203-2RS-5/8" type that into Google and a bunch of vendors show up.Most will be Chinese bearings.

If you want better quality,Nachi (Japan)makes a good bearing,that number would be 620310-2NSE9

https://www.ebay.com/itm/620310-2NSE...-/131429311047

Or,there are other brands still,just make sure the bearing number either has 5/8" in the chain or 10 which is the bore in 1/16ths (10/16+5/8)
    Yes, most are but I found some of these locally that are SNR mfg. Germany. $2.50 ea.

JL................

If there is nothing wrong with the bearings why not add a little grease and not worry about new bearings? If they are metal "shielded" bearings you can carefully drill a 1/16" or smaller hole and inject some grease, clean the area around the hole and seal with a small dab of silicone gasket sealer. If "rubber" seals you can carefully pry them out by getting a small SMOOTH screwdriver under the inner edge of the seal and carefully prying it out. Add grease, straighten the seal and press it back with your fingers maybe running the same smooth screwdriver around the outer edge to seat the seal. If you want a really good job you can clean the old grease out instead of just adding. Don't over fill in either case. The balls should be able to roll around without having to push grease out of the way. A high speed bearing can be overheated with too much grease in it. I do bearings all the time like this and have never had one fail. This includes idler bearings on the belts on engines and rear axle bearings in light trucks and electric motor bearings.