Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smooth soled shoes for shop

Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    I think if you have around 2 hp or less in a lathe or mill , it is less of a problem.
    When hogging material on my 7.5 hp lathe, set to break chips it becomes a problem..
    "Little toy" 10" machines break chips as well. I regularly get a shower of hot chips when turning certain materials, since I do not use what passes for power feed on the Logan.

Every lathe breaks chips with interrupted cuts, especially when turning a rough-sawed piece with several straight sawed edges to round.

Mills are not fussy, they make small chips by the thousands.... and smaller mills may make more of them.

No rest for the wicked, the shop just has small chips on the floor, and there is hardly any way around that fact.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I found the big blue chips that are 3/8 or 1/2 across when they are C shaped or 9 s... those are the problem. With a good depth of cut like 3/16.
    On my small lathe, the d.o.c. is usually a 1/16 or less, and they break or flatten when you step on them.

Your chipload may vary....

Has anyone tried using metal bar grating on the floor around machine tools? It should take care of chips, but it might be uncomfortable to stand on and would need to be lifted up to clean.

http://www.gratingpacific.com/metal_..._gratings.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Metal...-/153447191695

I use "holey" rubber mats for that. Chips go down into the mat voids. Every now and then I lift them up and sweep beneath. I HATE crunching around on chips.

On my small lathe, the d.o.c. is usually a 1/16 or less, and they break or flatten when you step on them.

they still can be tracked around and get to places they should not be. In fact, being smaller, hey get to more places.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I found the big blue chips that are 3/8 or 1/2 across when they are C shaped or 9 s... those are the problem. With a good depth of cut like 3/16.

Your chipload may vary....
    I’ll take large c-shaped chips any day compared to small sharp slivers from milling stainless or 4130 with tiny endmill... those buggers dig in to your skin by dozens

I thought we were talking in this thread about swarf sticking to your soles.
    What I was saying was, if the soles are resistant to the heavier harder chips, then the little stuff?

Yes, the tiny little slivers are a pain. In my shop there is seldom any large chips, but there sure are a lot of drillings. What is most unpleasant to me is when I'm sawing aluminum on the table saw. Last time I did that my hand got peppered with little projectiles, all going at 200 ft per second. Sometimes there's blood, and there was this time- 3 of the little pricks went in deep enough to do that.

I seldom get chips stuck in my soles, and I wear hiking boots all the time in the shop. It's more likely that I'll get a chip if I've been using the nibbler- there's some annoying little curls for ya.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

I thought we were talking in this thread about swarf sticking to your soles.
    What I was saying was, if the soles are resistant to the heavier harder chips, then the little stuff?
    Yeah, but.. small slivers tend to find their way inside the house on soles (and clothes) and the its a ploplem.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazemaster83 View Post
    The tradeoff is the boots are not as comfy, and I can tell when I have been wearing them all day.
    Try some orthotic insoles. I put them in all my shoes now.