Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The home shop from Hell

Simultaneously there is another thread bemoaning some kid spending loads on a car. This guy did make the pressure test set and the device he was using it to test, and the bigger 3D printer and he did the restoration on a lot of the kit. All the stuff in there is perhaps 20k so could have been 5k per year. That is nothing where some parents are grabbing 200k pa and spending in proportion on themselves and their kids. Probably most of the people on here could have built that up if it had been their priority instead they put it into pension, healthcare, insurance which teenagers don't have to think about. BTW how much have you spent on beer and fags over the last 40 years?

Good video ! The shop and equipment was very interesting BUT I also found the skills of someone that young even more impressive !

Seems sort of normal for a German shop.
    A very driven culture.
    I hope he continues and does great things.
    I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Apparently some things have been done in that shop.

But there is no doubt that just setting it up has been also a great deal of time and effort. Not to mention the time to restore the machines. (and make all the labels with his "logo"). And the time to keep it THAT clean.

He does not look old enough to have had so much time, going by my own experience setting up a shop and restoring many of the machines in it.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Where does the money come from?
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by fixerdave View Post
    "not ONE inch of space that isn't being utilised" PFFTTT!

A) there's more wasted space than gear in that place.

B) what is there is so clean it looks like it never gets used. Even all the magnets don't have anything stuck to them. I mean... the guy is walking around in sock feet.

The guy is obviously awesome at cleaning... no idea if he has any machining skills or if the shop actually has the tooling to make all those tools actually do anything... besides machine air.

Yeah... little bit jealous,

David...
    I wouldn't bemoan the fact that he keeps his shop so clean. Some people have a compulsion to leave everything immaculate, maybe he is one like that. I'm not one of them. I clean up the big chunks and then the important bits like the ways and the little bits in the corners, not so much. I use my equipment every day, so what is the point of cleaning to the extreme if it is just going to be messed up again shortly. Other peoples mileage may vary.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

The knowledge and abilities of this kid are amazing. His parents should be proud of him.
    The video brings a hope that the very spirit of of what we enjoy will be transferred to the new generation.

Nice looking shop. Not sure what his "backstory" is, and how he came to put together that shop, but I also don't care either. Some nice ideas in that video I can steal for my own space. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah the shop is ultra clean, almost sterile.

But hey the kid is proud of what he has and what he already knows. Think about it, if someone came down to do a video on your shop wouldn't you do your best to make it look it's best? Who knows what it looks like when he's been in there for 72 straight hours. LOL

I used to be ocd about a clean shop many years ago and still get anal about cleanliness when it comes to assembling components that should be clean, however decades of cleaning the shop have changed the degree to what needs cleaning and how often. The timer of life keeps ticking and one tends to prioritize activities more so in a worthy direction now than in the past. Hey I ain't Suzy Spotless no more and I'm sure the young man's direction will also change to some degree as the miles add up on his clock.

I like the kid way more than the entitled young puke bitching about his daddy having to cough up another 900 large to keep his ego inflated.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Quote Originally Posted by vpt View Post
    Where does the money come from?
    Trust Fund kid, over-indulgent parents, etc.?