Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The home shop from Hell

YouTube really REALLY wanted me to watch that video. I put YouTube on the big screen when I am catching up on chores, and YouTube kept making it the next video on autoplay over and over again. No matter how many times I cancelled it. Finally I let it play and left the room. LOL.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie_obe View Post
    Trust Fund kid, over-indulgent parents, etc.?
    Lives with his parents, part time job?

Seriously, he doesn't appear to be drowning in money. If in a few years he amassed that collection, it's a pretty cheap habit for someone living with parents (no rent, food, etc)

I'm a bit surprised at the reactions in this thread. I suspect that if the shop was less clean and had some clutter here and there that you'd all be wanting to adopt him as the son you always wished you had.

As for the fellow having that shop and apparently being so young perhaps some of it was hand me downs from older family? Or perhaps he's not as young as he looks and this is where his money goes instead of into cars, skiing or other pursuits? And perhaps because it belonged to a respected family member or that it did take him working hard that this is why he is so careful about cleaning and maintaining the shop and equipment? And perhaps some of us wished we were that attentive?

And even if it is a "trust fun shop" bought and paid for by rich relatives. The fact that he uses it at all and then cleans it should be something to admire rather than get all sour grapes about.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    I'm a bit surprised at the reactions in this thread. I suspect that if the shop was less clean and had some clutter here and there that you'd all be wanting to adopt him as the son you always wished you had.
    I agree.

Most of us are just envious and a bit amazed.

Bob

I was impressed.
    I bet there are thousands of parents out there, that would have made a wiser investment doing this for their kid (provided they are interested), than the money they blew buying them vehicles, toys, ski trips , vacations etc..

Pretty sure a relative , is or was in the trade.,...

I believe he said he is a student.

Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    I was impressed.
    I bet there are thousands of parents out there, that would have made a wiser investment doing this for their kid (provided they are interested), than the money they blew buying them vehicles, toys, ski trips , vacations etc..

Pretty sure a relative , is or was in the trade.,...
    A four year degree is the biggest waste of money unless it is very specific for a field that is in high demand with high pay.
    Go to a two year program and make $75,000 as a Respiratory therapist, etc.
    Pay $100,000 for flight school, and with some luck, make between 100k to 300k after 10 years of busting your butt gaining experience.
    Or you can teach yourself how to program, and if you have natural talent like 3phase, name your own price.
    I have a four year degree, it hasn't ever helped me, colassal waste of money to simply check off a box on a resume.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    I'm a bit surprised at the reactions in this thread.
    yeah, must be the weather, what a bunch of grumps. Maybe they all paid 900,000 in tax recently and are pissed at the world about it

Quote Originally Posted by mattthegamer463 View Post
    Lives with his parents, part time job?

Seriously, he doesn't appear to be drowning in money. If in a few years he amassed that collection, it's a pretty cheap habit for someone living with parents (no rent, food, etc)
    Any idea (anyone here..) what those machine cost in Germany (even used)?
    Worked with a German guy who wanted to be a Director of Photography, his parent's set him up in New York City, nice apartment in a Concierge building, paid for rent, school, living expenses, bought him about $150K in camera equipment, etc. Funded all his productions......yeah, trust fund kid.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    A four year degree is the biggest waste of money unless it is very specific for a field that is in high demand with high pay.
    Go to a two year program and make $75,000 as a Respiratory therapist, etc.
    Pay $100,000 for flight school, and with some luck, make between 100k to 300k after 10 years of busting your butt gaining experience.
    Or you can teach yourself how to program, and if you have natural talent like 3phase, name your own price.
    I have a four year degree, it hasn't ever helped me, colassal waste of money to simply check off a box on a resume.
    I never finished my degree. Had enough credits for 2 different associate of applied science degrees and went I went to apply for my degrees they told me I took to long working myself thru college and some of my classes no longer counted. I told the adviser to go _______ herself. I earned it even if they wanted to screw me out of more cash. Probably one of the best lessons I learned in college is you can't trust administrators. As to actual knowledge used in the real world. There is some I have used. Accounting is a waste of time for most small business owners. Keep a simple set of books and turn them over to your accountant at the end of the year. Done. Programming? Well if I went into programming the ability to write "hello world" in a dozen languages might be helpful. LOL. I did write a few programs for my own use after college, but nothing I got paid for directly. Economics? Well... believe it or not I learned very valuable things in both Micro and Macro Economics. Business classes. Not so much really. Most are geared only towards people looking to be employees of larger companies. A lot of what they teach will kill a small business. The only thing I learned that you really need to know in business is get paid for your work. You can't lose money on every job and make it up in volume.

Mandatory minimum of social sciences and humanities. Business ethics I rather enjoyed. Maybe because it had a good smattering of general business law. Stuff I found very valuable. Art appreciation and music appreciation... well it might have gotten me laid once because I could pompously talk pretentiously about brush strokes. Psychology... well that class was just fun, but most people are to involved in their lives to analyze them and the people around them objectively. Cultural Anthropology? Really? The whole class seemed to be a semester long setup to indoctrinate people that homosexuality was normal. The bit about phonetic alphabet of sounds was interesting, and sounds used in some languages, but not in others was interesting. I would have taken a class on that just for fun. Worse it was graded n a curve. Nobody opened the text, most slept through class and the few who atleast listened got 'A's. No sh!t. What a waste of money.

Now before you go thinking I didn't take college seriously I had a 3.85 GPA when I walked away and it was only that low because I majored in beer and girls one semester. I learned some useful things in college, but not enough to justify half of what it cost. A trade school would certainly have served me better than dual majors in business and computer science.

I have to take a step back here. There is one class I found was really worth the money. Systems Analysis and Design. It was taught on just a computer systems basis, but the logic flow is useful in any system. Whether you are diagnosing a problem or black boxing components to create a system. If you can follow all the branches of how things work you can build it and you can fix it. I actually got turned down for a job because I had taken that class. LOL. I needed a job to make some money to stay in school. I applied for a computer "tech" job with the county. Basically backing up data and doing **** jobs. The county administrator told me he was turning me down because he had an analyst position coming up soon that he wanted me to apply for. F-me. My next interview was with a restaurant for a position as a dishwasher. LOL. I needed to go to work today, not next month.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.