Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The home shop from Hell

Quote Originally Posted by reggie_obe View Post
    Any idea (anyone here..) what those machine cost in Germany (even used)?
    Worked with a German guy who wanted to be a Director of Photography, his parent's set him up in New York City, nice apartment in a Concierge building, paid for rent, school, living expenses, bought him about $150K in camera equipment, etc. Funded all his productions......yeah, trust fund kid.
    With a bit of luck he has got most of the machines for less than 5 grand total. Many germans are tidy and slightly obsessive with whatever they do so results follow..

Come on guys, used chinese drill-mill, lathe with chinese Hxx DRO that half of you spoiled patriot muricans woudn’t even spit on... (less than 200usd new kit if its same one that I have) etc..

I do not complain about his shop. European shops can be dingy holes like a US shop, but often are quite clean. I would not walk in any of them in sock feet, because there is always the chance of a sharp chip. But clean is not a problem. And he has apparently a company operating from the shop. Whether he nets out a profit, I do not know, of course.

I did not sit through the whole video, and may have missed the vacuum, but that would account for a clean place. When I vacuum, the place magically looks different But it does not do anything for the coolant on the wall, etc. So maybe he is just neater in work than some of us.

3PL seems to forget that many of us are engineers, and have not been paid as little as that entry salary for quite some time. Others have sold companies that they built up , and reaped the rewards of that. And many probably have investments, instead of 4 houses and too many toys. It's just like shops, whatever floats your watch......

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Bravo to him, millennial to boot?
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

This is what spendy german home electronis lab looks like:

Electronics shop is clean, but benchtop looks like mine!

Engineers are similar anywhere, apparently.

"spendy".... yeah, it would be that...... looking at some of the displays, and what they have to be from... Lots of space too, 3 or 4 times bigger than my shop, and much more open space, with newer euipment.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 04-15-2019 at 04:36 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    Electronics shop is clean, but benchtop looks like mine!

Engineers are similar anywhere, apparently.

"spendy".... yeah, it would be that...... looking at some of the displays, and what they have to be from... Lots of space too, 3 or 4 times bigger than my shop, and much more open space, with newer euipment.
    Yeah, first R&S vector network analyzer that looked familiar on the pics was listed 180k usd. Used.

Back to shop in topic: https://picgardens.de/tacrafted/
    Seem like he has done more in 2 years than many of us combined in 10 years..

Default Have any others on here worked in pharmaceuticals ?

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Yeah, first R&S vector network analyzer that looked familiar on the pics was listed 180k usd. Used.

Back to shop in topic: https://picgardens.de/tacrafted/
    Seem like he has done more in 2 years than many of us combined in 10 years..
    I had a total of 9 years in plants where prescription drugs, injectables and oral were manufactured and packaged.
    I can assure you that cleanliness was VITAL.
    One supervisor used to say, one metal chip in the wrong place could put us out of business.
    Certainly we made swarf, dust and smells. Equally we made sure none escaped from the workshop into the production areas.
    I just wish I was as naturally talented and tidy minded as the youngster in the video.
    Regards David Powell,

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    This is what spendy german home electronis lab looks like:

Very nice setup. He must be in a never ending calibration due cycle

Here is my "lab" but it's mostly for playing in.

I expect we will have to use our imagination to see Jtiers lab. I expect he does too.

Work hard play hard

Wow, I work for a multibillion company in the electronics sector and I don't have access to anything like that equipment. I even had to take in my own multimeter last week 'cos the £5 one's (which I keep in my desk) battery was flat. Back in '85 when I worked in Defence it was different - I bought £1 million of HP equipment on one contract but that was taxpayer's money so it flowed a lot easier.

UK entry level electronics engineer is on about £28k in a good company. Better than a teacher, below national average for men, close to national average for women. I think it is way more than they are worth but we are short of engineers apparently. That's probably why both my nephews have gone abroad. Funny how any product coming over to uk the price in £ is the same as the $ price over there, but salaries work the inverse.
    Last edited by Baz; 04-15-2019 at 06:06 PM.

Just testing my vocabulary....
    I wonder if there's a provision to ban those who can be perfectly described as braggarts, pompous, cocky, condescending and arrogant. The problem is that they become intrusive, insulting, annoying and disruptive.
    Last edited by MichaelP; 04-15-2019 at 06:10 PM.