Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw project finished

Default Bandsaw project finished

Didn't take too many pics along the way,this rebuild was broken up in half hour here and there intervals.Got this saw from a friend who was needing the floor space it occupied.A Delta 28-303 which was the 14" wood/metal cutting model with the built in gear reduction and step pulley drive.

Saw was running,but rusty,nasty,leaky and the bottom 4 inches of the stand was rotted off.Took the saw totally apart including the motor and gearbox.Replaced the oil seals,freed the gear selector/jaw coupling setup.New bearings in the motor,one table trunnion was broke,bought a new replacement one which turned out to be heavier than the old,but also 5/32 shorter.Fixed that with some custom shim washers.Replaced the OEM three winged potmetal knobs with some cast iron ones from McMaster-Carr.

Sandblasted,bead blasted,primed and painted everything.Found a new old stock stand base from a Delta combination belt/disc sander that just happened to be the exact same base complete with push button switch and a 1-1/2 hp single phase motor for a future project.New tires,the tracking wheel shaft was worn eggshapped and loose in the trunnion.The original was 15mm diameter,so I reamed the trunnion and made a new shaft 5/8" in diameter and changed the trackng wheel bearings to 5/8" bore.

The paint is nothing fancy,just Rustoleum Smoke Grey for the sheetmatal overs and Rustoleum Massey Furgeson Grey for the castings/base along with Black for the wheels and table.

Fabricated a caster base for it also.All in about $160 ish for parts,paint and supplies.Tested it out this afternoon on some 1/2" mild steel and with a 1/4" wide BiMetal blade she eats pretty good.I think it's a keeper.

I just need one more tool,just one!

Nice Job Weird,are the wheels cast iron or Aluminium.What FPM speed in low speed and age of it.

Thanks,the wheels are Aluminum,the blade speeds are 115,160,220,335 and 3000 feet per minute.I cut the steel at 160 fpm and it seemed fine.

The age,best I can tell is somewhere between 1994 and 1996.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Great work on that.

Nice job. It's a very satisfying feeling to take an old beat up piece of machinery and make it better than new. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Does it use a 93 inch blade? Nice job on the rebuild.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.

Looks awesome nice job.

Nice job!! I love this kind of stuff.

Nice job on the resto.

Amazing what a tin of elbow grease and attention to detail add up to. The saw looks like it just came off the dealer's floor.
    Nice work, she's a beauty!
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories