Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Vertical Miller

Quote Originally Posted by old mart View Post
    Built like a brick ****house, as I would say.
    Unfortunately, it's not in the lathes UK listing, they would welcome any info and pics you might send.
    http://www.lathes.co.uk/hahnkolbvariomat/

It's good to see info on your mill, I just looked for Variomat.

It's good to see info on your mill, I just looked for Variomat.
    me to but you need to press Ctrl + F and put in variomat its faster and more affidable

Even if it did not come with the tilting table brackets that would be something which could be made by yourself. The fact that the table "tray" is able to separate from the table drive is a highly interesting idea.

Plus I love how it could be set up with a long or deep piece clamped to the vertical movable table to do work on an edge or end. For most of us we have to use an angle plate for such things. But an angle plate secured to a horizontal table is not at all the same thing as having a vertical table to work with to hold larger items.

All in all I suspect this will be a case of an older machine which certainly has its own limitations. But at the same time has features that will allow some jobs to be done easily that on something like a Bridgeport would not be so easy.

I'll be looking forward to the restoration and tuneup thread to learn more about this interesting milling machine as your work progresses.

Yes the design is quite versatile. So many deckel-style mills were made it really says something about the merits of the design.

In a way its the Euro popular choice, much like Bridgeport over here.

Bridgeport is the commonest in the UK, they were manufactured or assembled here, not sure where.

Quote Originally Posted by don123 View Post
    Yes i meant one to go on the top but maybe i will buy a tilting vice so i will have 2 in 1.
    At the UK site they show an actual OEM table that can be tilted, and appears to have been an option for the machine. That would be super cool, as it adds nothing on top that takes up space.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    At the UK site they show an actual OEM table that can be tilted, and appears to have been an option for the machine. That would be super cool, as it adds nothing on top that takes up space.
    Yes i saw the tilting table on the site but will be hard to find one. For first emergency the head can be tilted - 45, 0 and + 45. For all other degrees i will need something on top. X travel 300 mm, Y 210 mm, Z 300 mm
    Last edited by don123; 04-15-2019 at 10:47 PM.

Bridgeport is the commonest in the UK, they were manufactured or assembled here, not sure where.
    Old Mart, they were made under licence by Adcock and Shipley in Leicester up till the late 60's. I've seen mention of them being made at the CVA plant in Hove but don't know if this is true or not.
    Apparently some UK made Adcock and Shipley Bridgeports were exported to the US.