Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Vertical Miller

Default Old Vertical Miller

A new acquisition (Hahn & Kolb Variomat Vertical Miller)
    http://www.lathes.co.uk/hahnkolbvariomat/

Looks like a well built production mill. Does it have no Y travel..looks like.

In this case I'm pretty sure the "Y" is taken care of by the head ram moving in and out.

If I found a that machine in decent enough shape I'd buy it and sell off my low hours Asian import midi knee mill in the blink of an eye. That Variomat has class and interest oozing out of every opening.

Yeah, the table doesn't appear to have a huge amount of X travel and it's not all that large... unless the pictures are way of of scale from the hints of other things. But that's such a cool old machine that what HSM'er couldn't love it?

Looks solid and nice, even if it does not have the tilting table option.

Where is the OP located? North, because there are paper birches in the background, but no snow, so not too far north, maybe..... I thought he was in Estonia or thereabouts. Way north of me, I am on a latitude with Syria.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    Looks solid and nice, even if it does not have the tilting table option.

Where is the OP located? North, because there are paper birches in the background, but no snow, so not too far north, maybe..... I thought he was in Estonia or thereabouts. Way north of me, I am on a latitude with Syria.
    I will have to buy a tilting table and a solid vice in future but lets focus first on restoration that i like so much
    The photos are taken in Slovenia.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    In this case I'm pretty sure the "Y" is taken care of by the head ram moving in and out.

If I found a that machine in decent enough shape I'd buy it and sell off my low hours Asian import midi knee mill in the blink of an eye. That Variomat has class and interest oozing out of every opening.

Yeah, the table doesn't appear to have a huge amount of X travel and it's not all that large... unless the pictures are way of of scale from the hints of other things. But that's such a cool old machine that what HSM'er couldn't love it?
    The table is 600 x 250. I was looking for somethig smaller first but than i saw this for a funny price + free delivery 220 km away from my place and i had to take it.

Horizontal as well by the looks of it. I like it.
    Nev.

Quote Originally Posted by don123 View Post
    I will have to buy a tilting table and a solid vice in future but lets focus first on restoration that i like so much
    The photos are taken in Slovenia.
    Can you still get the tilt table for it? Or do you mean one to go on top of the existing table?

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Built like a brick ****house, as I would say.
    Unfortunately, it's not in the lathes UK listing, they would welcome any info and pics you might send.
    Last edited by old mart; 04-15-2019 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    Can you still get the tilt table for it? Or do you mean one to go on top of the existing table?
    Yes i meant one to go on the top but maybe i will buy a tilting vice so i will have 2 in 1.