Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any other yard/estate sale junkies here?

Default Any other yard/estate sale junkies here?

Just curious. I am hopelessly addicted to these things. Every time I hit a dry spell, and think I really need to stop doing this, I make a nice score and am back up at 5 in the morning hitting as many sales as I can. Sure, I'll buy stuff and flip it, but my absolute favorite is when I find tools I can use. I've been specifically targeting deceased/retired engineer, machinist, sales to tool up my lathe.

Don't know where you are located, but stop by the N.A.M.E.S next weekend in Wyandotte, MI.
    Larry

I go to them specifically for tools. I have set up my shop from them, I buy very little new.

There have not been very many good ones recently, I think the pre-CNC machinists are all dead already, and I went to the sales in past years.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

You are sorta new to this ?
    A lot of us go at it hard in the beginning, then as we start getting more stuff we taper off.
    Plus we built a lot of things in house to get us through what we need

My Dad is a big yard sale junky. He's very good at finding specific stuff, and a good negotiator.... He's got me so many great deals on tools, and toys for the kids. Stuff for my house, and even a bunch of stuff for my buddies. I always laugh when he backs in the driveway in the the summer, because I know hes got something to unload from his truck. He's got a running list of stuff to look out for from both me, and all my buddies and he enjoys the thrill of the hunt. I do too, but he takes it to a whole nother level.

I hunt the tag sales and Estate sales when I have time, but the picking are getting slim. Big competition from the Fleabay sellers who will shovel everything that appears to be resalable into their bag or box and then look it all up on their phone, discarding the items that don't have high value or can't be flipped for three or four time purchase price. Lately, I've had better luck at industrial and machine shop auctions. An occasional Craigslist gem.

Yeah I love yard sales. Lately I've been keeping an eye out for older wrenches, the "S" curved types and etc. such as machinery and toolpost wrenches. Not that I need anymore.... hundreds already around here, just not the neat old "S" wrenches...

I only went to four today, I bought nothing and wife bought a flower planter. Only tool I saw was a bench grinder, already have two.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.

I go to to at least 400 a year. Mainly look for music CD's (presently I have 3830 CD's ripped into my computer) and tools. Went to 10 today.

Nope to early in the morning for me. If they started at like 11 I might go.