Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: What did you eat today?

I would not recommend anyone doing their own deep fried onion rings.Get some frozen ones!/! I dont know.

Just do not slice up two yellow onions and expect to get the same type of frozen onion ring.

Solly, was drunk and double posted the pic. They actually did get cooked

Last edited by JRouche; 07-04-2019 at 06:49 PM.
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

I'll save the great onion ring hope. coincidentally i did them on the weekend....couple of tricks. soak the rings in homo or buttermilk for 2 hours first. drag them through flour first then the batter. Oil nice and hot, flip once. Batter is flour, beer, cayenne pepper, garlic powder oregano, salt, smoked paprika, cumin and anything else you like. add beer until it runny enough that you get a good coating sticking to it, but no excessive, you want the right balance of the spiced dough and onion. you can put an egg in as well but I didn't last time. fry until golden, and you will scoff at frozen food. Oh, and don't batch them! one at a time, get 3 or 4 in the fryer and as one comes out. replace it.

I gave up trying to make onion rings at home. Too much work, and not worth the effort for me. What DOES work great though and is kinda the same but super easy is bloomin onions. So when I've got a craving for fried onions at home its of the bloomin onion petal variety. The buttermilk IMO is key to success, it's like contact cement for breading. That and frying it upside down.

Dan and Mc, you are correct. Stupid me I actually have a brand new quart of buttermilk here and considered using it and didnt. They would have come out much better. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Quote Originally Posted by KiddZimaHater View Post

YES!!

You should post a link: https://whataburger.com/home

https://www.lotaburger.com/menu/

Years ago, I think Burger King advertised a "Lottaburger". There was a rather buxom young woman with that emblazoned on her T-shirt

Last edited by PStechPaul; 07-05-2019 at 11:15 PM.

My preference for onion rings is light. Light batter, and not much of it, on a small ring - not a hulking chunk of onion. Gaps in the breading are just fine. Love putting them on my burger. Pickled red onions are also a favorite.

Back on fries.. A family member gave me an air fryer. Haven't tried it yet. Seems like a messy hassle but at least it doesn't waste a bunch of oil. I don't mess much with deep frying food. I'd rather smoke meat. I am partial to thin sliced crispy potatoes for breakfast. And especially frying potatoes for hash - with brisket, homemade pastrami, corned beef or pulled pork.

In Northern lower Michigan, Gibby's sets the standard for fries. They're available for a week during Cherry Festival, and also at the Fair. They are very good. It is said the fries go through 6 different imersions of oil, each at a different temp. I do wonder about the logistics of that - the required shuffling of fry baskets. I should probably look in the trailer sometime. I don't doubt there are that many fryers but am skeptical there are that many immersions. I do see the logic of a super hot initial, medium middle temp, and then hot finish to crisp. Here's an article on the process.

https://www.traverseticker.com/news/...ind-the-fryer/

To reach their golden crispness, sliced potatoes go through a seven- or eight-fryer process. All told, it takes six minutes or less to be golden-fried. “They start out cooking really fast, so they don’t get soggy, and then they go in lower temperatures as they go down the line. The last fryer is the hottest because it browns them and crisps them,” Chris Hansen says. Adds Bruce: “We peel our potatoes fresh and we only use good quality vegetable shortening. And we do not cook nothing else in our fryers but potatoes. You get the good flavor.

Google for pressure deep fryer if you want complicated.
    (We ”invented” pressure fryer after few beer with friends as most stupid and dangerous cooking appliance only to find out that it actually exist)

Last night we grilled a chicken, not sure if this is grilling or BBQ. At any rate it was good for chicken I guess. Unlike most people I can't stand moist chicken, I like it dry and this was made to other peoples preferences, it's why I seldom eat chicken. But there were a few places it was more to my tastes, and the kids don't like the skin so I get extra of that.

Today I am setting up for some pulled pork and smoked baked beans. I have hardly ever used this injection syringe since I got it so I decided to inject the meat with some apple and lemon juice, see what that does. It's a 1.4 kg or ~3lbs pork butt.

Bacon for the beans

Beans and ingredients, don't really have a recipe other than I use wat less sugar than american recipes seem to.

Ready for the smoker:

Setting up

This is the minion method or something iirc

I think this is enough smoke, two cherry pieces and one hickory.

Just gonna go take out the pork and rub it with spices now.

And on the smoker.

I don't think I ever make pulled pork anymore, or anything on the smoker really, without having beans underneath to catch the drippings.