Thread: The long way around the Barn

Default The long way around the Barn

Ever take a short cut and have it end up taking longer than if you had just done it the "hard" way?

Our old Leland Gifford drill press at work needed some attention.The #2 Morse Taper in the spindle had the tang slot cammed out by the previous owner long before we got it.We put up with it for years,but finally afer having the taper spun a couple times it got to be a real PITA in terms of runout and getting the chuck to hold.

So I decided to take the quill out,disassemble and repair the spindle.

Looking around I found a box with about six #5 to #2 reducer sleeves that were new old stock.So I thought if I bored the old taper out to .860" x 3.250 deep I would have plenty of meat left in the spindle.Then I could take one of those reducers,turn up a #2 male madrel in the lathe,mount the reducer to it and turn it down to be a press fit in the spindle.

Didn't work as expected,after I had pressed it in,first thing I did was check the runout.It was less than stellar,luckily the fit on the taper was shallow.So I ended up setting it back up in the lathe,boring the taper true and reaming it to finish with a reamer.If I had just did what I started to do and pressed a slug of chrome moly tubing in the spindle and then just bored the taper and reamed it I would have saved myself a couple hours at least.
    Oh well,lesson learned.In the end I did get the end result I wanted and the total runout of the taper is less than .0015" pretty good for a 60 year old drillpress IMO.
    Last edited by wierdscience; 05-05-2019 at 08:29 PM.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Could you post pics of that Drill Press,I have used MT extensions for making tapping attachments for lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
    Could you post pics of that Drill Press,I have used MT extensions for making tapping attachments for lathe.
    Sure if I can remember to snap a picture of it.
    I just need one more tool,just one!