Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need some nuts

Default I need some nuts

This circuit breaker was missing from the Servo 150 that came on my new to me mill, so I ordered it from an on line supplier.

To my surprise, when I opened the package yesterday, there were no panel mounting nuts included. Went to the supplier's chat room and the tech tells me the nuts should have been included, and says to contact customer service. The nice CS lady says she will contact the warehouse about the missing parts, and will send them out asap. Last night I get an email saying they looked at their stock and none of the items have nuts in their boxes. They are checking with the product manager, but have not received a response as yet. Please let us know how you would like us to proceed if we should continue to research regarding the mounting nuts or not.
    Duh! OK, so figuring that this was going to happen, I spent most of the afternoon on line looking for 1/2-32 panel nuts which apparently are an odd size. Also made stops at a couple local hardware stores, and as a last resort, Home Depot. No luck anywhere. One hardware store came close with one at 7/16-32 that even had a rubber boot over the bat handle. So my question is: Does anyone know where to get these nuts without having to buy them by the pound? It's beginning to look like I'm going to have to make them and not looking forward to turning a 1/2-32 internal thread.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

What is the big deal with cutting the thread ?
    Don't know, time to learn.
    Easy with the right machine..

Shallow threads are easy to cut , but tool must be sharp. Make several blanks in case you flub one.
    I would Knurl outside of 5/8 aluminum or plastic.

1/2-32 would be easy to single point on lathe.
    Not too small to work on but small enough that you don't need to take heavy cut and your boring bar can be still plenty of thick&stiff.

I have a bunch of switches that I call 1/2", but measure 0.456 - 0.464. What does your switch measure?

I just checked DigiKey for toggle switches and one of the sizes is 15/32 x 32. Which must be what mine are. Those nuts are commonly available.
    Last edited by Bob Engelhardt; 05-11-2019 at 04:49 PM.

Manufacturer has them in stock but they say 39 week lead time.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/...nut%201%2F2-32

No lead time given here, but you can call.

https://www.newark.com/grayhill/6352...les/dp/49M8944

200 in stock here:

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/gra...EMXg&gclsrc=ds

Dead easy internet search. Less than 5 minutes and three sources. Grayhill should be able to tell you who stocks them. Just call them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
    This circuit breaker was missing from the Servo 150 that came on my new to me mill, so I ordered it from an on line supplier.

To my surprise, when I opened the package yesterday, there were no panel mounting nuts included. Went to the supplier's chat room and the tech tells me the nuts should have been included, and says to contact customer service. The nice CS lady says she will contact the warehouse about the missing parts, and will send them out asap. Last night I get an email saying they looked at their stock and none of the items have nuts in their boxes. They are checking with the product manager, but have not received a response as yet. Please let us know how you would like us to proceed if we should continue to research regarding the mounting nuts or not.
    Duh! OK, so figuring that this was going to happen, I spent most of the afternoon on line looking for 1/2-32 panel nuts which apparently are an odd size. Also made stops at a couple local hardware stores, and as a last resort, Home Depot. No luck anywhere. One hardware store came close with one at 7/16-32 that even had a rubber boot over the bat handle. So my question is: Does anyone know where to get these nuts without having to buy them by the pound? It's beginning to look like I'm going to have to make them and not looking forward to turning a 1/2-32 internal thread.
    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 05-11-2019 at 07:06 PM.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

I have had to make some similarly fine threaded nuts recently. I grabbed a broken tap and ground away all except the first good tooth. It made a great threading tool. Perfect form and much easier than trying to make one from scratch.
    It's all mind over matter.
    If you don't mind, it don't matter.

I'm pretty sure I should have some of those kicking around. If I do I can put them in an envelope. Send me a PM and I'll check tomorrow when I have a moment (going to what Avengers with the fam in 10min).

Quote Originally Posted by MrWhoopee View Post
    I have had to make some similarly fine threaded nuts recently. I grabbed a broken tap and ground away all except the first good tooth. It made a great threading tool. Perfect form and much easier than trying to make one from scratch.
    You really don't need a 1/2-32. Any old tap with 32tpi will work.

McMaster Carr has them.
    Toolznthings

There are all kinds of nuts here,
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...entire-threads