Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: airless resin mixingq

Degassing on a shallow plate seems like a good idea. It would require a wide enough pot, and that's going to mean more air to remove. Pump down would take longer. My system includes a 100 gallon vacuum tank, so I can probably go down to 2 or 3 lbs in seconds, then switch the tank off and let the pump suck the remaining air from the vacuum pot. After that the valve to the pot is closed and to the tank is opened again. The pump runs more or less continuously to bring the tank pressure back down.

It's a vacuum capacitor system- unrelated to the flux capacitor

I need to revisit my centrifuge. The throw-away cups I was using don't fit the holders very well, and the pressure when it is spinning just wrecks the cups. I'll have to find a disposable cup that I can get lots of at any time, then rebuild the holders to suit.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Quote Originally Posted by jcfx View Post
    I've never done encapsulating items in resin, so I'm not sure what you mean by 'stabilize',
    but sounds like a good idea if by stabilizing you're drying the wood, epoxies aren't that moisture sensitive
    polyurethane resins are very moisture sensitive and if the wood bits aren't dry as a bone
    you'll get bubbles where the polyurethane resin reacts with moisture or inhibition.

Depending on the type of resin you intend to use ( epoxy or polyurethane ) it would be wise to mix a small batch and paint
    some on scrap pieces and pressure cure to test for issues in curing and appearance before doing full pours.
    I was planning on drying the wood items, then puting them in a vacuum chamber in a stabilizing resin bath. Once stabilized they will be set in a mold and resin poured around them and then set in the pressure pot to cure. Then they'll be turn on a wood lathe. I'm unsure on which type of resin to use, but I'll make sure they're both compatible with each other (I think the stabilizing resin is just polyurethane). Sorry, didn't want to highjack the OP. My knowledge on all this is 100% gleaned from you tube, so it's a bit hard to get some of the important details sometimes. Thanks for the info. I'm just trying to make some interesting Christmas gifts for some of the kids in the family, while learning something, and adding some new tools and capabilities to my shop (vacuum pump/chamber, and pressure pot) while not breaking the bank, or turning it into a career.

Your advice to play around with it on a small scale is noted. I think that's probably best before I waste a bunch of money doing full pours. Thanks.