Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help choosing CNC lathe tools for a part.

Default Help choosing CNC lathe tools for a part.

Hi all

I need to make the part shown below, in small batches and pretty accurately.

Its made from aluminium bar, 25mm dia.

Not having a decent lathe I have made a 4th axis add-on for the cnc mill which gives me basic cnc turning ability with quick-change tool mounts.

The part is only 23mm dia x 24mm long.

What i'm after is - what is the best tooling to use to make these effectively on a small cnc lathe?

I cant compare to how i would do it on the manual lathe as that would involve turning the part round etc and i don't want to do that, i am hoping to be able to face, turn and part it off in one setup, rinse and repeat, with the least amount of tooling.

Any tooling suggestions?

Thanks

something like this, a Seco MDT

https://www.secotools.com/article/676?language=en

I use on in the CNC lathe at work, and for stuff like this they work great to be able to do a some turning and parting with one tool. It's really just a parting tool that can handle some side loading, and mild corner rounding grooving and chamfering etc. Exactly what you're looking to do.

A turning and parting insert holder might very well do the job, but for profiling you will want one with a clamping screw. Not one that just wedges the insert in place. Depending on how critical your dimensions are you may also want to mic your insert.

Most insert coatings are not great for aluminum (yes I know zrn and some others are) so I'd go uncoated with flood coolant. Typically uncoated inserts are slightly sharper, and while aluminum cuts easily (depending on the alloy) it does like sharper tools.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    something like this, a Seco MDT

https://www.secotools.com/article/676?language=en

I use on in the CNC lathe at work, and for stuff like this they work great to be able to do a some turning and parting with one tool. It's really just a parting tool that can handle some side loading, and mild corner rounding grooving and chamfering etc. Exactly what you're looking to do.
    Very nice, thanks.

Seems there are grooving and profiling tips, is the grooving tip usable for light profiling or am i looking at two tools?

Its a pretty expensive tool (cú80) so i want to get the right one

Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    Very nice, thanks.

Seems there are grooving and profiling tips, is the grooving tip usable for light profiling or am i looking at two tools?

Its a pretty expensive tool (cú80) so i want to get the right one
    There is also the import chicom version on ebay dirt cheap along with the square and radius type inserts. I got the import one, works just fine on my cnc lathe.

Same tool, two different inserts, one with a square end, the other has a radius.

Dont suppose you could throw a link in - i'm all for trying out stuff on cheap versions - less to lose when i crash it

Edit,
    found it, thanks
    Last edited by Davek0974; 05-14-2019 at 07:18 AM.

Ya, the Seco version is a bit spendy. Worth it if you need it, but as mentioned above you could probably get away with a import version of the same style tool. It's basically a parting insert that is keyed on the bottom to handle some side loading, and the insert has a "nose radius".

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    ...something like this, a Seco MDT...
    Another big vote for the MDT. I have a couple of different parts that I make in the shop that have wider
    external grooves. With the MDT tool I can face off the end, turn the OD, cut the grooves and part off all
    with one tool. A real timesaver. The only other thing needed is separate tool to chamfer corners.

I use it on a manual machine not a CNC but it still works fine. On a bigger, heavier part I will rough out with
    a TNMG or TCMT style insert and then use the MDT to finish. In our shop this thing has paid for itself many
    times over just in time saved...
    Keith

Sounds ideal, thanks

I bought several of these & the cheap inserts to go with them. They work great! A little sharpening on a diamond wheel & they're fantastic. I don't think you'll need corner radii to get a smooth finish with the right speed & feed but you can hone a bit on the off the corners if you want. You don't have to spend a ton to do that little chore. Dunno if they are available on your side but I'm sure whoever the Chinese parent company is will sell them to you, cheap. https://www.amazon.com/Accusize-Tool...-1-spons&psc=1
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton