Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help choosing CNC lathe tools for a part.

Thanks,

I know about the forces but this is a very fine, shallow knurl and in brass so presumed i might get away with it

I have air-blast mist coolant i can use for swarf if any is made, should help.

I thought it odd that Fusion360 knows nothing of knurling, no tool in the library, no path options etc??

It will all be done in a collet and the knurl is very close to the face so that should be ok at least, its only 3mm wide and there is a relief machined either side.

Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    Ok so i have the new tool and a couple of inserts.

Due to only having 1Hp on my accessory spindle, i was advised to get a small insert/tool so went with 1.5mm width.

I have some freed/speed data but no real idea of multi directional turning/grooving work.

Regarding my part in the OP, am i better grooving the bulk off or turning it off or what?

Ant suggestions appreciated.
    You can produce the the back radius and part off but it will leave a nub at the center unless the machine has a sub spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bented View Post
    You can produce the the back radius and part off but it will leave a nub at the center unless the machine has a sub spindle.
    Yes it does, but as its aluminium and the nub is <1mm dia I can just nip it off with a sharp knife and its done

I think your plunge and dwell will work fine for the knurl, especially if you are close to the collet. If not try doing what DJC suggested and feed in off the part at full depth. If found lathe CNC programming to be part science, part trial and error and a bunch of Kentucky windage sometimes.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    I think your plunge and dwell will work fine for the knurl, especially if you are close to the collet. If not try doing what DJC suggested and feed in off the part at full depth. If found lathe CNC programming to be part science, part trial and error and a bunch of Kentucky windage sometimes.....
    LOL, certainly not plain black and white thats for sure

I'll have a play, adding the code to Fusion manually was not to bad, a bit clumsy but it seems to read ok.

I cant believe there is nothing at all to do with any type of knurling in fusion.