Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tools You Didn't Think You Would Use Much, but You Were Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    a bandsaw
    Oh, freak yeah. I have two horizontals now and wish I had a big vertical. Its unreal how much work they save me. I use the bigger one everyday.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Clausing Horizontal Milling machine. I got it for free. I wanted to buy a drill press but he wouldn't sell me the press unless I took the mill. I Did not use the drill press much so I sold it. I use the mill to cut gears as well a for making tooling fixtures.

A friend gave me a Starrett edge finder it is always in use.

30 ton press. A guy stopped about 35 years ago and tried to sell me this press. I told him that I didn't have a need or it. He went down the road and sold it to a friend of mine. Several years later my friend went through a divorce and sold it to me for a good price. I thought it would just sit there but it gets used a lot both by me and friends.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

First cordless drill, belt grinder, band saw, and my skip loader. They all have utility way beyond my initial expectations.
    Mike
    Last edited by mf205i; 05-13-2019 at 10:41 PM.

21" Camelback drill press. Seeing as how the shop already had one standard drill press and a bridgeport, I didn't think I'd use it much. Now when I'm doing fab work and need a large hole on a odd shaped piece, I can just dog it to the table and drill with cheap drills instead of burning up expensive annular cutters in a funky setup on the mill.

I have 2 I can think of now, the first one is a DeWalt cordless sawzall. I already had 2 corded ones I felt foolish to buy another.
    I was laying quite a bit of PVC pipe, it came in real handy in the ditch. I use it WAY more than I thought, in fact I own 2 of them now.
    My second one, I was picking up some stuff I bought on eBay from a guy that was moving. He said he had something I needed. It was a Toro workmaster. It had an ugly plywood box built on the back 2 flat tires, sitting in the weeds for a couple of years.
    He finely talked me into taking it for 50 bux. If I hadnít had a trailer with me I would have never bought it.
    Fixed tires got it running wouldnít take 5,000 for it today.
    I like it for running around the yard. Itís real easy for my old body to get on and off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I machined about 55 of these sockets that attach to my Arbor Presses,Greenerd 3 ton and a Dake 25 ton.I use them all the time for removing & installing seals,bushing,bearing and would not want to be with out now!

I'd have to say wallpaper scissors. I didn't realize when I bought them that they would become my favorite scissors. Pretty sure I have another pair, but haven't needed to open the package. They cut well, are easy to guide, and they get you across a page in only two chops. I've used this pair on fiberglass cloth, and it still cuts well.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Very first time was a tap and die set, way back when. No idea how I managed to do anything without one. It was like a new world...

Next was a 6" bench shear. Bought it because it was on sale... no other reason. Use it all the time.

Next was a rezip saw. I use that way more than I expected to.

There are a lot of other tools that I use a lot, that gave me more value for the money than I expected, but those 3 were things that, at the time, I never expected to use much at all.

Oh, and how about we NOT list off the tools that we thought we'd use all the time but didn't. That list isn't as much fun.

David...

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
    I machined about 55 of these sockets that attach to my Arbor Presses,Greenerd 3 ton and a Dake 25 ton.I use them all the time for removing & installing seals,bushing,bearing and would not want to be with out now![/URL]
    I remember you posting this some years ago. I still need to get this job done some day! My stock of "round things" is a mess and never can find the right size.
    Andy