Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tools You Didn't Think You Would Use Much, but You Were Wrong

That socket press tooling is a great idea.

My tool would have to be a portaband. Bought it for $100 thinking it might be handy, and I'd use it once in a while. It always stay plugged in, and hangs from my rolling vise stand. I use it all the time. Can't remember the last time I used a hacksaw, but I probably wasn't happy about it. I really wish I had one at work, but I've set the "bar" at $100 and haven't found another one at or below that price

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    Oh, freak yeah. I have two horizontals now and wish I had a big vertical. Its unreal how much work they save me. I use the bigger one everyday.
    I have had a horizontal for many years but earlier this year got a DoAll vertical. Using it more than I thought I would is a gross understatement.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky_NY View Post
    I have had a horizontal for many years but earlier this year got a DoAll vertical. Using it more than I thought I would is a gross understatement.
    I have two horizontal a small and large both mitre saws.This is my second Doall Vertical and is the most used machine in the shop!

The 1" belt sander would be the biggie. I bought it for a couple specific jobs, but I find myself walking past the grinders to use the belt sander for what would generally be grinding jobs.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 05-14-2019 at 11:18 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Without question it's my Delta 1" X 42" belt grinder. Like Jerry, I bought mine about 20 years ago for a specific job. It was cheap and not particularly well made but I needed something for deburring and grinding that was faster and more convenient than a bench grinder. I use it everyday in the shop and when I bought it I remember thinking that as cheap as it was it wouldn't last long, famous last words. It is without a doubt the most used tool in my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
    I machined about 55 of these sockets that attach to my Arbor Presses,Greenerd 3 ton and a Dake 25 ton.I use them all the time for removing & installing seals,bushing,bearing and would not want to be with out now!
    Neat idea. Is those inexpensive import sockets? It looks like I need to go to the flea market and stock up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me its my 1 x 42 Delta belt sander. The guy who sold me my mill told me to take it because American Airlines shop have it to him when he purchased the mill. I brought it home stuck it into a storage building for a year and decided to use it. I had to replace the off on switch but it runs like a champ. I use it almost every day Im in the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, the little 1x30 HF belt sander has turned out to be a frequent flyer in my shop. The 4x36 (or whatever length it is) goes on the other list. I bought it because the 1x30 was so handy, but the bigger one needs more motor so I never use it. I don't think its even plugged in. I think I am going to move it from the bench to the shelf next to the oscillating drum sander (which I do sometimes use) this afternoon.
    Last edited by Bob La Londe; 05-14-2019 at 02:59 PM.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

3 Phase Lightbulb Guest

My Harbor Freight 2T shop crane. I've put that thing to use many, many times over the years. I would have been in trouble many times without it.

That is one scary picture.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    My Harbor Freight 2T shop crane. I've put that thing to use many, many times over the years. I would have been in trouble many times without it.

*** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.