Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Tools You Didn't Think You Would Use Much, but You Were Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    Math.

-Doozer

I think for a lot of folks that's a very good answer.

This one deserves a big HOORAH!
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    Math.

-Doozer
    My 10th grade Geometry teacher was exhibiting signs of stress. She started telling us the book was “wrong” and teaching her own theorems. It went on for quite a few weeks but then the smart girls in class told the school admin and they scheduled “Visitors” to audit a class. We never saw her again. She was placed in a MH facility for a while but never returned to teaching.

We had to go to summer school and I remember clearly saying to my parents...”Why do I have to go to summer school? I’m never gonna use Geometry for anything anyway.”
    Illigitimi non Carborundum
    9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade. Now I boil oil

Blast cabinet. I have stripped brass model trains, blasted manifolds, and used every media under the sun. I have used this thing countless times.

Have you use walnut shells ever? I hear things but would like to see pictures and hear actual experience.
    Andy

3 corner scraper made from triangular file .
    Hollow grind the flat faces, then sharpen the piss out of the corners , on sandpaper.
    Be very careful wiping the grit off.. I used paper and it cut thru and into my finger very easily.

Now the odd time I have a problem fitting bushings. By measuring it should slide in , often it starts and sticks, sometimes it's just a bump, wart or scratch in the bore. . When you wiggle the shaft or pin in, it burnished the high spot and it's visible. In that case I use the scraper and shave off the high spot ., it works quite well, sometimes takes a few tries.
    Quicker than adjusting a reamer to start cleaning it out.

A medical type scalpel and box of blades. Seems I always need a super sharp small blade for stuff. Great for splinters

I've used plastic media, steel grit, bottle glass, aluminum oxide, baking soda, but not walnut shells. Soda is one of my favorites. I have stripped plastic at low pressure for a friend who is a model train nut, or foamer as I believe they call them in that circle. I stripped some of the thin brass passenger car Korean models for him and some of his friends also. No warpage, and a beautiful clean finish for paint. I went to dinner one time with him and his model train club friends. What a great bunch of guys they were.