Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tools You Didn't Think You Would Use Much, but You Were Wrong

Default Tools You Didn't Think You Would Use Much, but You Were Wrong

A number of years ago I bought an RF30 mill drill. (I already had a smaller mill drill) I thought it would be really handy for that occasional hack job when the CNCs were busy. The guy was also selling an HF 8.5x18 lathe. In order to get a decent price and get him to throw in all the tooling I had to buy both. As it was I left with no purchase and then later he called me back. I figured I'd use the RF-30, sell the lathe quick below market and have net lower price on the mill. Well, the RF30 has been gone for a couple years now and I still have the 8.5x18. In fact its saved my bacon many times. I've been able to make and repair parts for other machines in the shop many times to get things going again right now. In fact I still use it 2-3 days a week most weeks. I've take the chuck off of it, and installed a Little Machine Shop 3C collet adapter (have a video on Youtube) that is quite handy with a hand wheel draw bar. Mostly I use it for radiusing the end of dowel pins, but it gets used for lots of smaller work. For small stuff its certainly better than the 3 jaw and faster than the 4 jaw on my bigger 14x40 lathe.

What tools did you pick up thinking you wouldn't use them much, and now you use all the time now?
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Morphy calipers , Indicol with dti on it, Starrett multi angle guage with 30, 45 and 60 deg angles., warding file, Starret ruler connectors often used as a length guage , and a few more..
    My 9 inch South Bend for champhering.

20 ton HF shop press, miniature hobby vise from HF, hot air rework station, Hakko soldering iron, 3d printer. Least used tools are the lathe and mill strangely enough.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

A machine that is not used for production is always available for use at a moments notice for those little emergencies when the **** hits the fan.

3D printer. I use it for things I never imagined.

Ed
    For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Years ago I was in the market for a pan and box brake
    I met a guy at an auction that had one for sale but I had to buy his Pexto jump shear with it. I didn't think I had any use for a jump shear but that was the deal.
    You know the rest of the story

Dremel tool!

For years I laughed at them and wouldn't buy one. But then I found one at work and found that it was useful. I now have two and a bunch of accessories and tools for them.

No, they are not great tools. But they do have their uses. Many, many uses. The last, oh wait, second-to-last time I used mine was to sand a radius into the corners of a rectangular slot that I cut in a piece of hand rail I am using in a wood project. It did an easy and almost perfect job. The last use was to cut ID marks on some metal pieces I was milling and finishing to size with abrasives. I also made an accessory for cutting screws to length with it. I do that all the time.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    20 ton HF shop press, miniature hobby vise from HF, hot air rework station, Hakko soldering iron, 3d printer. Least used tools are the lathe and mill strangely enough.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Press is a pretty big one for me. I got it knowing I would use it for bearings, shafts, collars, and whatnot. But then press brake bending, shaft straitening, flats straitening, press punch dies, all kinds of things come up for it. I find myself using it all the time. I think it deserves the air powered jack upgrade next 20% off sale.

Plasma cutter/cnc table would be right up there for me too.
    Last edited by vpt; 05-13-2019 at 07:32 PM.
    Andy

Fein Multimaster, Certiflat welding table, TIG welder.

a bandsaw