Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tools you think you would use but don't.

I don't use my 48" Tennsmith finger brake as much as I thought I would.... I wish I had a bigger one. LOL.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Wire bending jig. I was so sure it would get a lot of use, but it just sits in the back of a drawer.

Also, not in the shop but in the kitchen - there's a mandolin. I got it as a birthday present a couple years back & was really excited. Was. I've not yet taken it out of the box.

Air ratchet. Free to a good home.
    Have probably had it for 30 years and it has maybe 30 minutes of actual use on it.
    I find it cumbersome and awkward and slow in use. A 3/8 drive butterfly impact has more power, a much smaller footprint, is faster and has more power.

Now even that has taken a back seat to cordless electric tools.
    So nice not to drag a large air hose everywhere while listening to (and maintaining) a large air compressor running just to power a small hand tool.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Cordochorea View Post
    Wire bending jig. I was so sure it would get a lot of use, but it just sits in the back of a drawer.

Also, not in the shop but in the kitchen - there's a mandolin. I got it as a birthday present a couple years back & was really excited. Was. I've not yet taken it out of the box.
    Interestingly I bought some specialty wire bending pliers to make wire forms to test custom molds, and I wind up using them to make springs and various other things. Not everyday, but I get more out use out of them than I thought I would.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Tools I thought I'd use but don't?

The majority the stuff in my shop!

But, it doesn't matter - it's just stuff. . .
    Cheers,

Frank Ford
    HomeShopTech

You reminded me.....

Air impact wrench. It's a 98 lb weakling. I'd like to kick sand over it, but I'll probably sell it at my next excess tool sale. I can do better loosening the nuts/bolts by hand.

Electric impact wrench. A decent industrial one. It's a 105lb weakling, better than the air one, still loosens nothing much but my eardrums..... it talks the talk but it won't walk the walk. Probably goes when the other one does. Might keep it for loosening 1/4-20 nuts... that's about its capability.

Big old vise... one swiveling jaw, the one in the body. Never used, mostly because I do not have a stand for it. It's too big for any of the brake drums I got to make bases from. Will keep it a while longer and see,

Radial arm saw, DeWalt from the 50s or 60s. Got use back a while, has not been used recently.... not bringing me joy, but likely worth keeping for a bit before I move it onward.

Router table... needed it for a while and did not have one. Got this one, and have not needed one since. Another one that will go when the RA saw goes.

I know there are more, just can't think of them now. Some stuff just turns into background,

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Yeah... knew somebody would start this. Sigh...

For me, it's all the right speciality tools that I bought because I just finished muddling through some lousy job with the wrong tools, typically busting off a knuckle or two in the process. Of course, said job was so freaking ugly that I go to great lengths to never have to do it again, so the right tools just sit there, never used.

Now, if I were smart.... but...

David...

Biscuit jointer, used it a bunch of times when I first bought it. Has sat for probably 10 years. Old Printer's type saw with sliding table, was told they are great for cutting Al accurately, fixed it up, never got much use.

Top of the line pneumatic roofing nailer and 50 pound box of coiled nails. Bought it, decided the next week that the job was too big for just the War Wagon and me. Hired it out. Watched 15 guys re-roof my house in one day.

In the old days I'd have never thought twice about roofing a house, especially mine, with a manual hammer no less! Things change.

I never return a tool, so it is still in the box, having never shot the first nail. But if I ever want to....
    Last edited by garagemark; 05-14-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Every tool I own is simply a toy to play with, so they only get used when I feel like using them, which is time shared with all my other hobbies.