Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tools you think you would use but don't.

3/8ths inch/pounds torque wrench. 8 yrs and never used it. What was I thinking.

Sarge41

The only tool I haven't used is a crappy Import (you know who I'm talking about) tool post grinder that does a terrible job. I also bought a HF spot welder (which actually does a good job) for a specific job that didn't materialize. Everything else has been used.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Just like my signature says.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.

I have a box of gear cutters that I bought from a machinery recycler a few years ago. There are full sets of 16, 12, 10, 8 pitches and some odds and ends for others. I still haven't used them but probably will never let them go. Also have an autocollimator that I haven't used yet, but I have plans to some day. I have an old Hobart 60% duty AC/DC welder that hasn't been used in 10 years. Also an old ford tractor that needs TLC. When I get a round tuit.

Best Regards,
    Bob

A set of torque sticks. Used the one rated for my trucks wheel nuts (140 ft/lbs), but it never seemed to result in the nuts getting tight enough. After needing to go back over all the nuts to tighten them down with a torque wrench several times because the nuts came loose, the set I bought are unlikely to ever be used again...

With Willy on the air ratchet
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Oh boy, does this thread remind me of all those tools that seemed like good ideas, but weren't.

The way that I look at it is: you can't always know - sometimes a tool turns out to be way more useful than you expected and sometimes vice versa. No regrets - it's all part of the game.

3 Phase Lightbulb Guest

Yup, plenty of air tools that never get used... Air sanders, tons of paint sprayers, air "palm" nailer (But I do use air nailers/staplers when needed, just never the "palm" nailer for those tight spaces -- never needed it). Air ratchet, air "nibbler", air sander, air grinder, air hammer, air chisels, and even bought an air drill that I never used. I do use a 1/2" air impact wrench for the vehicles occasionally. The most used air tool is probably the tire inflater, an air nozzle for blowing out/cleaning items, and of course the sand blaster. I did go crazy buying air tools for everything when I first got a compressor.

3 Phase Lightbulb Guest

When I setup a new wood shop ~10 years ago, I bought a large Grizzly wood shaper that I thought I'd use a lot but only used it a few times. I think I only made one set of raised panels with it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL46 View Post
    BP Shaper/Slotter. But, I better keep it 'cause next week I will need it!

Mike
    We had one in our toolroom at GM and in the 28 years that I worked in the toolroom it never got used. We also had a slotter "vertical shaper" but I was almost the only one to use it. I cut some 1" keyways in it and it scared the crap out of me at first but it worked like a charm. Some management genius decided we didn't need it anymore and sold it off. I'm guessing it is sitting in his garage now. From that point on when we needed large keyways cut we sent them out.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC