Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First time to make a spur gear

Hello Group,

You are very encouraging to receive these suggestions and the idea of a fly cutter with a HSS bit cut to a given profile. This sounds like a doable way to get these gears made.
    A 10DP size sounds like the correct size from your help, and since I measured the full OD as 2-3/16" which is 2.1875, so pretty close to what CCWKen and others have calculated. Stepside, I will take your advice and look into the handbooks as references and a learning tool.

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris

Use a 1 inch bar with cross hole if you have a collet or holder that size. Then mount hand ground tool bit in the hole and hold with setscrew.

I recently made the timing gears for Brian Rupnow's Rocker Block engine. I had made a gear once before but that was 47 years ago when I was in school the moral of the story - it can be done.

frankie

There was an article in HSM a couple of years ago about how to make your own 4 tooth gear cutters. I started on it to make some metric transposing gears but haven't got the time to finish yet. Probably won't until I need the gears. It involves a bit of work but you seem to want to make your own gears and learning this "system" would be fun.

I look forward to the bead roller build. I have a cheap HF one that I have reinforced a couple times but would like to just rebuild the whole thing to work like it should.
    Andy

Hello Group,

I'm thinking along the fly cutter idea and grinding my own HSS cutter bit. My question is, do I grind it to be the same profile as the actual gear in one bit grind or do I start with a "V" shape and when I get close change to a true profile of the final cut? I'm thinking that I grind the same shape as the gears on the Pexto tool and even use it as a gauge for the grinding.
    Either way light cuts and time to make this all work.
    I have some 12L14 CRS that I was planning on using for the blanks. Not a high end operation with a bead-roller, a slow speed in the 4-10 rpm range if I motor drive it is all they will see.
    18ga sheet metal or lighter is what i'm trying for with this bead roller project. I do plan on a build post when I get all my ducks in a row $$, material, time, to keep everone up on what i'm doing.
    So stay tuned, but it will be a slow process.

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris

If you want to rough it with straight tool or a shallow V it will likely cut the tooth easier.

+1 more on the fly cutter. Use the gears on your other machine as a template. You definitely want to gash the blank before using the fly cutter.

Read Sir John's thesis on Gear cutting,
    https://metalwebnews.com/howto/gear/gear1.html
    He made several posts here on HSM with pictures, but not sure if they still show ?

Go to Mike's Workshop as well
    http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/maki...r-cutters.html

Both are excellent resources for the home shop-per

Rich

Another Sir John gear cutting thread. A classic. Somewhat long winded and full of verbal jousting and sarcasm as well as a ton of great info. Worth the time to read if you are interested in this stuff. The later part (around post 50 or so) of the thread has some good info on the "2 button method" that still has working photos:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...involute+shaft