Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have personal experience with a 1940's vintage Leblond Lathe like this one?

Default Anyone have personal experience with a 1940's vintage Leblond Lathe like this one?

I have an opportunity to get this lathe but I'm wondering if it would be worth it. The only Leblond lathe experience I have is with a 15" Dual Drive which is a deluxe machine. I've never really cared for the look and feel of the newer Leblond Regal lathes but the older ones may be better. Anyone out there used one of these lathes. It's a 13 X 36 or maybe 40, D1-4 spindle nose. Not sure of the HP but it is 3 phase.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ron

Current owner looks like a slob. I've only worked on the servo-shift models. That looks like a very short bed. Is the C-C distance useful for the jobs you get? What kind of funky toolpost does it have? How many holders? Any other chucks, faceplates, collet drawtube, etc? Is it powered up? Check the gears for missing teeth.
    Last edited by reggie_obe; 05-19-2019 at 05:15 PM.

Yeah, that looks to be the same vintage as a 13"one I have. I don't recall the exact age of mine, but it was some time in the early '40s. ...except mine's a nice gray, and a bit cleaner than that one, tho not by a lot.
    Mine is 24" between centers.

Default Leblond experience

Quote Originally Posted by nc5a View Post
    I have an opportunity to get this lathe but I'm wondering if it would be worth it. The only Leblond lathe experience I have is with a 15" Dual Drive which is a deluxe machine. I've never really cared for the look and feel of the newer Leblond Regal lathes but the older ones may be better. Anyone out there used one of these lathes. It's a 13 X 36 or maybe 40, D1-4 spindle nose. Not sure of the HP but it is 3 phase.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ron

It looks a lot like mine, and I really like mine. Your stand looks stronger than mine which is just cast iron legs. Also my bed is longer, but I don't think I've ever used more than half of it. My chuck mount is threaded, so yours should be better there. I don't post often, so I hope this works OK.
    I know everyone likes pictures, but posting them is beyond my abilities
    I think you will like the lathe if you do mostly hobby, home shop type work.
    Enjoy it, John

LeBlond has parts available for all their lathes.
    doesn't matter the age, they still support parts.
    Call them and inquire about that machine.

LeBlond Regal. Nice lathes but lighter duty. Be sure to check the head stock gears. If you try to treat that lathe like a Monarch or Pacemaker you can trash one of the gear sets.

I had one of these in 16" with a much longer bed. I ended up parting it out as a couple of headstock gears were stripped.
    Parts from LeBlond are quite expensive.
    I shipped parts all over the country and ended up selling the heavy stuff to a fellow on here.

THANX RICH
    People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Thanks for the feedback. I still haven't decided if I'll buy it, probably will try and check out the gears in the headstock before I commit to buying it.

Ron

Well I ended up buying the lathe. However the KDK tool post and holder shown in the photos was not part of the deal so I got the lathe a little cheaper because of that. So now what to do with it as I already have enough lathes.

So I guess when you are in Alaska and you can buy a lathe
    you do it.

-D
    DZER