Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation For Coolant For Mister

Default Recommendation For Coolant For Mister

I want to start using my mister with my surface grinder again. What would be a good coolant to use with that? Keeping in mind I won't be using this everyday, so when I'm done I'll pour the coolant in a plastic jug or some other container for storage till next time. The stuff I used years ago turned funny after about a year and storage. Maybe some of the stuff has improved since then.

JL....

I've been using koolmist 77(?, could be the 76) without issue. Does a good job through the sprayer, keeps things cool, haven't noticed anything growing in it after a few months. Only thing I don't completely like it it seems to dry kinda sticky. Think I may have mine mixed a little on the strong side, but I will say that whatever's causing the stickiness seems to be a good rust inhibitor

Hi,

I use KoolMist also. And I have no funk issues either.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
    I've been using koolmist 77(?, could be the 76) without issue. Does a good job through the sprayer, keeps things cool, haven't noticed anything growing in it after a few months. Only thing I don't completely like it it seems to dry kinda sticky. Think I may have mine mixed a little on the strong side, but I will say that whatever's causing the stickiness seems to be a good rust inhibitor
    This is also one of my main concerns.

JL............

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    This is also one of my main concerns.

JL............
    Its a touch annoying, but really not horrible to deal with. It cleans off the parts without issue, and while it does leave parts of the machine a bit tacky as mentioned it also seems to do a good job protecting from corrosion, so i see it as almost a net positive.

Before anybody gets on to me, yes, i do clean up my machines after use. I dont go neurotic about it, but i do make sure to wipe everything off and oil any work or bare metal surfaces.

I used Kool Mist 77 in a mister and also for flood. It was marginally ok for mist, but for flood it badly stained the parts. Kool Mist claimed it was my water until I pointed out I was using distilled water (I have a distiller in my shop). Then they just stopped talking to me. I switched to SC520 at the suggestion of Lloyd Sponenburgh. Lloyd used to be a regular on RCM if the name sounds familiar to any of you guys. Its awesome stuff, never stains a part, and cleans up with just water if you do let it sit too long on a part. I've never used it in a mister, and I've never left it sit for a year, but it seems to keep ok too. I had a machine that was down for a while I was deciding whether to scrap it or fix it. After six months I pumped the coolant out and put it in another machine rather than waste it. Didn't seem to have any issue. I buy the stuff 5 gallons at a time from MSC Direct, but there are other sources if you hate MSC. It is not legal to export. MSC makes sure I am aware of that every time I buy some. The MSDS is pretty tame and the instruction are pretty simple. I do not know if its suitable for mist as I just run flood on everything now. Might be worth a consideration.

I typically run it at about 6%-8% solution with distilled water. For mist (if its good for mist) I'd probably run a lower mix.

I will never run Kool Mist in my shop again. If I can't get anything else I'll fill my tanks with transmission fluid first.
    Last edited by Bob La Londe; 05-20-2019 at 07:59 PM.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

I don't plan on flooding the grinder with the stuff. It would never be flowing off the magnetic chuck surface anyway. In the past I used to wrap a paper towel around the part and fasten it with a rubber band. Providing I could, part size etc. That worked pretty good as far as absorbing any run off. I also have put paper towels down on the chuck and held them down with a few small strips of sheet metal. A light mist usually evaporates before it hits the table.

JL.................

I wasn't suggesting you flood your grinder. I was suggesting you see if a real professional product like SC520 or SC620 might be suitable for mist.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    I wasn't suggesting you flood your grinder. I was suggesting you see if a real professional product like SC520 or SC620 might be suitable for mist.
    Bob, I know that. What I meant was the excess coolant running all over and seeping into places where you wouldn't want it to go.
    The whole point of using a mister is so you don't flood everything.
    Most of the time I just use plain water and dab a few spots with a Qtip. Even that small amount of water makes a big difference in surface finish etc.
    The only problem is it ties ujp one of my hands when grinding.
    Is the SC520 supposed to be better in some way?

JL.............
    Last edited by JoeLee; 05-20-2019 at 09:56 PM.

I found it to be a thousand percent better than Kool Mist for milling, turning, and saw cutting in flood applications, I've never seen a hint of staining, and it cleans up really easy if you forget about it. I use it every day on aluminum and occasionally on steel.

I'll ask over on the CB forum about using it in a mister. Lots of guys over there use misters, and atleast a couple use SC520.

~~~ Ok I asked. http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index....c=7983.new#new
    Last edited by Bob La Londe; 05-20-2019 at 10:05 PM.