Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ebay English Wheel

Default Ebay English Wheel

Does anyone have any experience with this English Wheel on Ebay? The reviews aren't glowing but I could lop off and redo the wheel alignment/adjustments. If the wheels are decent quality it seems like it would be worth it just for them, the basic frame, and free shipping. I definitely consider it a kit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/English-Sha...5.c10#viTabs_0

It looks like great value, only getting one would tell whether it requires stiffening in the frame or a better finish on the wheels.
    I have tried using one, it's a lot harder than it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by old mart View Post
    It looks like great value, only getting one would tell whether it requires stiffening in the frame or a better finish on the wheels.
    I have tried using one, it's a lot harder than it looks.
    You get what you pay for. My brother likes to dabble with sheet metal and odd body panels
    so he built an English wheel for himself. It has a larger throat area but it's made of 3-1/2" x
    3-1/2" x 1/4" HSS and it still flexes a bit. The more rigid the frame the better the wheel works
    because you're not fighting the flex. Also, the smoother the finish of the wheels the better
    results you will achieve--any imperfections on the wheels will show up on the finished workpiece.
    He made all his wheels from 4140 HTSR. I would rate the one in the add as a waste of money...
    Keith

I have seen some expensive professional wheels made from cast iron which look more flexible to me.
    We have one at the museum, which was given to us. The top and bottom beams are made from 8" H section girder which pivot in the middle, controlled by a 1 1/2" acme thread, but the throat depth is only about 15" and we only have three wheels and the master wheel is only 6" diameter. I would swap our one for that ebay one in an instant.
    With some fettling, that ebay one could be quite good.

there was a design for one in Engineering in Miniature two or three years ago that could convert to swager and plannisher. I think it was based on 3x2 square section tube. I'll see if I can locate some details tomorrow.

They are flexy, good for bicycle fenders...maybe.
    I tried to reinforce one my buddy had! Waste of time..
    So I designed and made a frame, 2x2 by 3/16 I think.
    The wheels ran pretty true.
    I did not add a quick lift, May need that.
    I you pm your email to me , I have a few photos.

It seems quite good now, but I have no prior experience wheeling.

I plan to add a circular or ship type wheel where the TEE is, then I can mark numbers, and return to last setting if I remove workpiece to check progress.

If serious about building an English wheel go on to allmetalshaping.com and sign up for an account. There was a lot of really good info on building them regarding sizes and stiffness.

I got to say if you bought this, then build a frame like we did , you will be into it for 200 ish plus your time, that's not bad to have a working wheel ..

Quote Originally Posted by gzig5 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with this English Wheel on Ebay? The reviews aren't glowing but I could lop off and redo the wheel alignment/adjustments. If the wheels are decent quality it seems like it would be worth it just for them, the basic frame, and free shipping. I definitely consider it a kit.
    -One of the biggest drawbacks to the eBay and Harbor Freight E-Wheel kits is that the wheels are generally "soft"- that is, plain mild steel, or at best unhardened chrommoly.

That's fine for general 'wheeling, but people have found that running off the edge of the sheet can leave a nick from the cut edge. And trying to wheel out ripples from welded seams can leave dings and dents in the wheel surfaces.

If you're primarily doing aluminum, like for airplane cowling parts, you're generally okay. But steel panels, especially built-up and welded ones, you need to be careful you don't mark the wheels, and be prepared to periodically re-dress said wheels as needed.

I just picked up a homebrew wheel, which used an older Harbor Freight wheel kit. I haven't tested them yet, but I suspect they'll prove to be unheattreated or even just mild. I have a big roller bearing I scavenged specifically for an E-wheel, but that won't help my smaller rollers. I may have to see if I can send them off for hardening.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)