Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ebay English Wheel

The magazine design I mentioned above was August 2014 - how time flies. It only used a 2in square frame for about 20 in throat.

Like Doc mentioned,the bargain units may or may not have hardened wheels.If you have a heat treat furnace this isn't an issue however.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

If you were unlucky and the wheels were made of mild steel, no amount of heat treatment will make them hard. In that case a fairly deep surface treatment would be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by wierdscience View Post
    Like Doc mentioned,the bargain units may or may not have hardened wheels.If you have a heat treat furnace this isn't an issue however.
    I have a furnace and I also have a Holdridge 4S radius turning kit so I should be able to fix/make the rolls. I'm not going to be a heavy user making an entire car body from scratch, mainly smaller patch panels. It seemed like this thing would at least get me started and help me understand what works and what doesn't.

I still think that the cheap ebay one in the #1 post is worth getting, if only to practice on before spending time and money on a superior model. I recon that 95% of people trying to learn the art will give up after a short while, it is so much harder than you would think.

Its worth it if you make a new frame, you can deflect the wheel on it the way it is with one or two fingers pushing against it.

Quote Originally Posted by old mart View Post
    If you were unlucky and the wheels were made of mild steel, no amount of heat treatment will make them hard. In that case a fairly deep surface treatment would be needed.
    Carbon pack case hardening was what I was thinking.It's fairly easy and gives a deep case wiithout distroting things out of shape.

Quote Originally Posted by gzig5 View Post
    I have a furnace and I also have a Holdridge 4S radius turning kit so I should be able to fix/make the rolls. I'm not going to be a heavy user making an entire car body from scratch, mainly smaller patch panels. It seemed like this thing would at least get me started and help me understand what works and what doesn't.
    I say go for it,I built a small wheel out of 1x2"x11ga tubing and some 1" channel.Used a spherical OD disc harrow bearing for the crowned roller and an old cast iron caster wheel for the top roller.It worked well to few times I used it.Ended up giving it to another member of this forum.

English wheel construction isn't rocket science,the frame needs to be rigid in x and y axis and be able to spring in the z axis is all.

I guess we'll find out in a week or so. I'll report back when I have a chance to evaluate it.

This thing arrived Saturday and actually isn't terrible. It's not perfect either. The wheels and bearings are very nice. The finish is smooth and they roll true. Haven't tested for hardness but time will tell. The frame is a bit small, but the welding quality is decent and it is fairly stiff. Wheels are smaller than most of the kits out there as well. The axles fall in and out of the bearing inner races, I don't know if that is a problem or not but probably will knurl them to tighten the fit or just make new axles. The adjustment for the wheel is semi-crappy and there is too much slop. All these things can be corrected. I used it on some 22ga and it seems to work OK. I will probably make a new frame for it that will also accommodate an air hammer as well as the wheels and a better adjustment system. For less than a 1/3 the cost of the little Eastwood version, I'm pretty happy.
    Last edited by gzig5; 05-27-2019 at 12:34 PM.