Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Threaded chuck back plate advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    .................................................. ............................................
    If it were intended to be a primary alignment means, then it was designed by a COMPLETE FOOL, with no comprehension of mechanical kinematics.

...........................The proper alignment means is a taper fit, but the so called "register: is a PARALLEL fit ( And Without tolerences no less !) .................................
    +1 Jerry !
    My comment in parentheses in your quote

Newbies, pay attention here !
    Many old wives tales will lead you into trouble and stuck Chucks

Rich

Okay, I have hesitated so far, BUT: I like my backplates to fit closely. The practice in making a very close fit is valueable to me. I've made a few over the years from the continueos (sp?) cast iron available at my local supplier. Also available from the big catalog companies. the one for my Adjust-true Buck chuck is the closest fitting one to date. The thread fits with no detectable wobble, and the register fits with about .0005" clearance, as close as I can measure it. I like it.

That being said, if you make it a little sloppy, it probably won't matter much, the average 3 jaw doesn't repeat very closely anyway. Or, at least mind don't, and I have a couple name brands that are'nt worn out yet.

Pay close attention to the face of the spindle that the backplate seats against. I blue the back face of the plate with felt pen and seat it a couple times. On my old Atlas, there were a few dents and craters from debris between the spindle and backplates. This showed up as spotty contact with the new plate. A facing cut on the spindle register solved the contact problem.

It's nice to have a close-fitting backplate, but not to the point where you have friction. My 3 jaw with it's closely fitted backplate is surprisingly repeatable- maybe in large part because of the chuck itself. Some of the other chucks don't register with the surface behind the threads at all- just with the back register. I haven't had any alignment problems to speak of with them, so I really can't say if the tighter fit is 'better' or not.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Clarke View Post
    Is it a Dalton?
    No, it's a South Bend model 405Y. Similar to the later 9C but with the odd spindle thread and 20DP change gears. I was very, very lucky the change gears were all there.