Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How about a "chat room" section for OT posts?

Default How about a "chat room" section for OT posts?

That or a "strictly machining" section.

My motivation for staying here is to learn...about machining.
    I also like to hear about other topics but the co-mingling dilutes the message and train of thought.
    It also discourages a lot of the more serious and experienced people from staying and posting here.

If there was one section you could go to to ask how to repair your plumbing because of a meal you ate
    or just to salute General Bull S**t I'm all for it.
    Len

Its been talked about for years. I am on board of some separation of 'on topic' and 'off topic' as well. But just. I very much dislike forums that have 45 different subcategories/topics/sections/whatever.

* At the same time I find myself only coming to 'general' and ignoring everything else all the time. In fact I don't think i have ever looked at anything but the 'general' topic/section.
    Last edited by vpt; 05-21-2019 at 10:05 PM.
    Andy

I am a member of a couple forums with chat and most of the chats seem to have died down. Of course every group dynamic is different.

We could always just create an IRC chat. Free open IRC servers still exist. Here is a web embedded IRC chat script I setup for a fishing forum, but then never publicized or announced. http://yumabassman.com/forums-new/in...e,page301.html You could easily do something like this and the actual load is on the IRC server, not the local webserver. The problem of course with IRC is its not really practical moderate in any meaningful way.
    Last edited by Bob La Londe; 05-21-2019 at 10:08 PM.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Ideally, the number of OT threads should simply be limited, but I cannot see any way to achieve it without some crude force. Heavy everyday moderation is not an option on this site for obvious reasons. But by stern warnings given to a couple of the usual (and well known) offenders followed by temporary and then permanent bans, the number of OT could be brought to an acceptable level.

P.S. Also, there are people who, on top of the OT, simply abuse the current privileges by posting enormous number of videos and pictures completely unrelated to machining. It may be interesting, it may be tasteless, moronic or funny, but it's an abuse that should be curbed, IMO.
    I think that a single warning given by the moderator can cure such behavior in the majority of cases. And if the person is deranged significantly and doesn't react to the conservative treatment, a surgical approach should follow.
    Last edited by MichaelP; 05-21-2019 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QSIMDO View Post
    That or a "strictly machining" section.

My motivation for staying here is to learn...about machining.
    I also like to hear about other topics but the co-mingling dilutes the message and train of thought.
    It also discourages a lot of the more serious and experienced people from staying and posting here.

If there was one section you could go to to ask how to repair your plumbing because of a meal you ate
    or just to salute General Bull S**t I'm all for it.
    Please do not take me as too direct, but I cannot understand your post.
    First you say you are here to learn machining,
    then you say the other topics dilute the message,(dilutes what?, the machining?)
    then you say you need to repair your plumbing after a meal,
    If you want to learn machining, there is many members here that offer help, I know. I got my own set of machining questions.
    I got some good answers from good machinists here.
    If you need to repair your plumbing after a bad meal, you need to see a Doctor.

"Medice, cura te ipsum" (c)

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    If you need to repair your plumbing after a bad meal, you need to see a Doctor.
    I think you completely missed the point, which was someplace to send all the OT food related etc crap including plumbing related to it.....

I am not in favor, BTW, since OT may be machinery related, bit not directly on the "HSM" topic.... I see no problem with that, and such, including the questions that are a haor OT, should NOT be banished to the "playground" with the off-the wall junk..

It's the rest of the garbage, irrelevant pics of fast food, etc. That needs to end, or go elsewhere.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    It's the rest of the garbage, irrelevant pics of fast food, etc. That needs to end, or go elsewhere.
    I think it has already, take a look.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    About time. Downgraded from a Senior Member with 8000+ posts full of BS to being a Guest?
    Good riddance.
    Last edited by MichaelP; 05-22-2019 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Praise the Lord.
    There is a God.