Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Computer Issue Boot Disc OT

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    Now that I'm able to access this and all looks to be OK, how do I do the repair?
    You are missing one of the necessary boot files. The easiest way to fix this is with the Windows installation disk. Load the disk and there is a window that gives you two options:
    1) Install Windows
    2) Repair Installation

Select "Repair Installation" and the disk will do the rest. It will detect the missing file and copy it to where it belongs.

Also where are all your saved searches? I think it may be called auto-complete, or forms ?? like all the stuff you search for on ebay, that stuff.
    I believe that if you copy these files (in the same location as above) you should get what you want:
    cookies.sqlite
    formhistory.sqlite

I guess your temps are fine. In the detail it says max was 40C.

I think the "repair" place deserves a serious tongue lashing and probably a naming and shaming online and in a review.

[QUOTE=SLK001;1242722
    2) Repair Installation

Select "Repair Installation" and the disk will do the rest. It will detect the missing file and copy it to where it belongs.[/QUOTE]

Is it going to let him choose the external drive rather than his new drive?

Quote Originally Posted by SLK001 View Post
    Your logins are kept in the file "logins.json".

Your passwords are kept in the file "key3.db"

Both of these files are kept in the \users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Firefox\Profiles\SOME RANDOM NUMBER.default. They are in hidden directories, so you may have to enable "Show Hidden Files/Directories" in TOOLS\FOLDER OPTIONS\VIEW.

Copy these two files to your new drive in the SAME LOCATION (the RANDOM number probably has changed) and you should be good to go. Overwrite the two files that are there now.
    I don't have a key3.db file, only a key3 and a key4. Different version of FF, no idea.

JL.............

Quote Originally Posted by SLK001 View Post
    You are missing one of the necessary boot files. The easiest way to fix this is with the Windows installation disk. Load the disk and there is a window that gives you two options:
    1) Install Windows
    2) Repair Installation

Select "Repair Installation" and the disk will do the rest. It will detect the missing file and copy it to where it belongs.
    I would do this if I could get the installation disc to see the old drive on the USB port. Unless there is a way to get the installation disc to repair a drive other than the C drive ?

I can't put the original drive back in the computer because it won't boot, can't get to the CD drive. USB is the only way to access it. Can it be repaired from there.

JL............

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    I think the "repair" place deserves a serious tongue lashing and probably a naming and shaming online and in a review.
    I agree. They were probably just interested in selling a new $275 SSD.

It's like the old saying, "What's the difference between a used car salesman and a computer salesman?"

ANS: "The used car salesman knows that he is lying to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    Is it going to let him choose the external drive rather than his new drive?
    No, he has to mount it as the primary drive to do the repair.

I don't have a key3.db file, only a key3 and a key4. Different version of FF, no idea.
    You need to uncheck "Hide Extensions for Known File Types" in TOOLS/FOLDER OPTIONS/VIEW. Access this in CONTROL PANEL/FOLDER OPTIONS is probably easier.

Or, just copy over the key3 file (the extension is there, you just can't see it). You can delete the key4 file.

I can't put the original drive back in the computer because it won't boot, can't get to the CD drive. USB is the only way to access it. Can it be repaired from there.
    It won't boot because it is missing files. There are TWO ways to get your CD drive to be the primary boot device.

1) Upon pressing the power button, REPEATEDLY AND RAPIDLY press the F12 key (BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM etc) until a BOOT MENU pops up. Then select CD drive and then hit RETURN.

2) Upon pressing the power button, REPEATEDLY AND RAPIDLY press the F2 key (BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM etc) until the BIOS pops up. Find the BOOT ORDER menu and set CD drive as the first boot device. Hit F10 to SAVE AND EXIT, confirm YES if asked if you want to SAVE AND EXIT. At this point, you should already have your INSTALLATION DISK in the CD drive ready to go, because if the system doesn't find a bootable disk in the drive, it will try to find a bootable media in the second boot device, then the third boot device, etc, until it runs out of boot device options.

You HAVE to REPEATEDLY AND RAPIDLY hit one of those buttons, because that button press HAS TO BE THE FIRST THING THE SYSTEM SEES once it is ready for inputs and the KEY PRESSES ARE NOT BUFFERED prior to "SYSTEM READY". The system will only wait ONE SECOND for that keypress before it moves on to the primary boot device. A KEYPRESS MUST BE WITHIN THAT 1 SECOND WINDOW, thus the rapid keypressing.

I tried all the F keys but none of that worked. Kept getting the same error as shown in my original post.
    Could not get past that error screen to use the CD drive, USB.
    That left me with no choice other than to put another drive in.
    Now that there is a way to access the old drive via USB there may be a way to repair the corrupted boot file.
    I guess that's my last ditch effort. I'd like to be able to do it just for the sake of accomplishment after all this work.

JL............

You should have the option to open a command prompt in the recovery environment. Select that and then execute this command: bootrec /rebuildbcd

It would be best to do this with the old drive installed in the computer.