Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer Issue Boot Disc OT

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    I did,
    Came up with so many that I don't know where to start. That's why I thought I would start here.

I did find a WIN 7 recovery disc from an older computer but I don't want to re-install, just repair to get up and running.

Also found this ....... $20 for the diagnostic and repair disc.

JL.................
    Most windows versions are available for download from the microsoft site. Just need a valid product key. Home and pro both use the same ISO, your product key is what determines what version is installed.

Also, on any w7 disk you have a menu choice to install, upgrade or repair an installation, should appear on the first menu that shows up.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows7

Edit: ensure you get the right 32 or 64 bit version.
    Edit 2: sometimes can download the ISO with a product key if you are in the insiders group.
    Edit 3: At least it's w7, with ten every update changes the version number, so even the original install disk will return a 'wrong version' error in many cases
    Last edited by kendall; 05-29-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Try "Plop" boot disk, it's free. I used it quite often.

I can't get past the black screen no matter what I do. I put the Win 7 recovery disk in and it doesn't see it.

JL....

IMHO, one approach and solution: find a tutorial on how to backup this system using a linux recovery distribution image.

The first step of that will be using a different computer to download a linux recovery distribution and burn it to a thumb drive. You boot that on your problem computer and then follow the instructions to image the computer to an external hard drive, like a cheap USB drive. That cheap USB drive will be very useful in future backups.

In the future you may want to find a way to do your internet activities on a more secure OS, which could be linux. For XP security and reliability you can run XP in a virtual machine and not allow it to access the internet.

If your current computer is old and slow consider finding a cheap used computer (spending money to upgrade old computers is rarely cost effective). If you hunt around you may find a $30 computer with monitor that is a huge upgrade - at an estate sale or auction.

I can't get past the black screen no matter what I do. I put the Win 7 recovery disk in and it doesn't see it.

JL....
    Again: do you know the boot sequence is OK?

The BIOS setup should work if the computer itself is OK

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

San Diego, Ca *** Please let us know where you are from too.

As others have said .. boot with a linux disc which will allow you to look at the files on the
    HD and see if they look healthy.
    John Titor, when are you.

JL....
    If you don't want to alter the bios boot order, you can restart then hold the f12 key, it will show show a boot order menu, select the cd drive and it should boot to the CDrom.

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    Again: do you know the boot sequence is OK?

The BIOS setup should work if the computer itself is OK
    No, because I can't get past the screen I posted a picture of.

Also tried all the F keys. Still can't get past the black screen.

JL......

You can't get past that screen even after a complete shut down?

The keys need to be pressed before you get to the screen you posted... If the screen shows up - you are too late.

sam