Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer Issue Boot Disc OT

I've gone through all the f keys powering down and holding the f key when I turn the computer on.
    the only screens I can get to the are diagnostic screen that checks memory and all that stuff and that all tested okay.

JL......

Brand and model of the computer?

Just wipe the drive and restore the last backup of the many that you make on a time-relevant basis.

...No? oh well then.

Dont use windows' backup program. (Ideally dont use windows)

You are obviously getting past POST and BIOS or you wouldn't be seeing winwoes stuff (that really helpful diagnostic screen : /)
    Esc, Del or the F keys. Search "how to bios for MAKE/BRAND"

I haven't used hiren for a long while. But if you follow the instructions you should be fine. I'd use Parrot Security linux but that could be a bit overwhelming. UBCD would probably have all the tools but also less "user friendly"
    Once at a linux desktop you can copy your files off (Documents and settings" folder, probably) This is my recommendation. Then do a clean install. Yes you will have to re-install all your programs and re adjust all your settings. That's how windows "works"

Three main suspicions (ignoring that windows is **** and hates you)
    MBRfix
    Hard disk error (not likely, but one minor corrupt file will cause windows to ****)
    Activation lockout. (can be reset. you will need the OEM key. disable updates!)

"A cheap usb drive" - no. unless your data is worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by skunkworks View Post
    Brand and model of the computer?
    It's a Dell 5759.

JL.............

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    I've gone through all the f keys powering down and holding the f key when I turn the computer on.
    the only screens I can get to the are diagnostic screen that checks memory and all that stuff and that all tested okay.

JL......
    Try the delete key also

Can you boot from a CD ? If all else fails, I have a CD that Iíve used in the past that helped me get through some similar lock ups and even hack into my step sonís supposedly protected PC. He asked for the help.
    It sort of puts you in Safe Mode with network and allows you to run your already installed utility programs that clean up and repair registry etc.
    Iíve never had any malware issues with it. XP and 7. Havenít tried it on later versions.
    Illigitimi non Carborundum
    9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade. Now I boil oil

I brought it to a repair place. They couldnt get it to boot of a diagnostic disc, couldn't really get any further than I did. There may be major issues. So they are taking the HD out and checking that. We'll see. I thought there might be something relatively easy that I could do but guess not.

Thanks for your efforts guys.

JL...........

Well I just heard back from the repair place. The SSD is what went. They hooked another drive up to it and it loaded up fine.

JL..............

Don't throw that SSD away until you have had a chance to check it further.

PEBCAK

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk