Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer Issue Boot Disc OT

Default Computer Issue Boot Disc OT

Hate to post another off topic post here but this is about the only place I can get a straight answer with out reading for the rest of my life and getting nowhere.

Did a system restore last night to go back to a previous date, done it hundreds of times.
    This time I got this:

Can't get into safe mode or anything else. Computer didn't come with a recovery disc. Lots of options out there but don't know which one is best. My other computer has all my machine pics for posting on it.

JL..................

"Computer didn't come with a recovery disc." No but I bet it came with instruction on the first page to create one.

Use the disk from your other computer. All it needs is the startup libraries. (It needs to be the same version of Windows though.)

What did you change? If the disk is shot, this won't work.

There is a chance that the use of the requested disc would result in simply returning the computer to where it was when first bought, nothing installed. It is not asking for a "recovery" disc, but for the "installation" disc.

"Repair" MIGHT not do that....but .......

Have you tried simply turning it off and restarting?

Do that, and enter setup rather than letting it go to windows. Check the boot source. Make sure it includes C as one of the boot devices, but it can show CDROM or other item as tried first, which is ok.

The disc might be bad, which can be checked by moving it to another computer and running checks on it. That may not be possible depending on what type it is

If those don't work, you can reload from the backup you have made on a backup device (but very few people do that.)
    Last edited by J Tiers; 05-29-2019 at 08:52 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

JT, tried starting several times. Can't get past the screen I posted. Other than some diagnostics screens which check out OK.
    I don't want to wipe the hd if possible.

JL...

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    "Computer didn't come with a recovery disc." No but I bet it came with instruction on the first page to create one.

Use the disk from your other computer. All it needs is the startup libraries. (It needs to be the same version of Windows though.)

What did you change? If the disk is shot, this won't work.
    Don't remember being asked to create one. I may have one for XP. Not sure if that one will work.

JL....

Is XP the version of Windows on the PC? If not, it won't work. The version MUST be the same. The startup/repair will most likely recreate the boot sectors and restore images from the Sys Vol Info folder. IIRC, This is where Windows stores some recovery images (file versions). If a disk failure has caused this error, your chance for recovery is probably 20/80.

Added:
    M$ used to make startup/repair disks available for download. They stopped doing that a few years ago. And I wouldn't trust getting it from the multitude of other places. These are typically patched and riddled with malware.
    Last edited by CCWKen; 05-29-2019 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Addition

There are all kinds of bootrepair free software online, Hiren is one of them. You need to do a Google search.

Quote Originally Posted by john buck View Post
    There are all kinds of bootrepair free software online, Hiren is one of them. You need to do a Google search.
    I did,
    Came up with so many that I don't know where to start. That's why I thought I would start here.

I did find a WIN 7 recovery disc from an older computer but I don't want to re-install, just repair to get up and running.

Also found this ....... $20 for the diagnostic and repair disc.

JL.................

Don't mix up the disc types....

You said:
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post

I did find a WIN 7 recovery disc from an older computer but I don't want to re-install, just repair to get up and running.

JL.................

A "recovery" disc would be what you need to do a fix.... but it may need to be from that particular install, because it may reference specific hardware drivers, etc. It just has the customization stuff needed for that machine, and essential services files.

An "installation" disc, which your screen seems to be requesting, would be used to re-install the OS, and return the computer to "new puppy" status, wiped and fresh.

Did you look at the BIOS setup to be sure that the source for boot is set to a disc that HAS the boot info on it? Often the sequence is USB, then CDROM, then C:, which allows more options. C: has to be on the list or it will not "go".
    Last edited by J Tiers; 05-29-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Did this restore point have a different drive configuration? Choose a different restore point

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk