Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about Shapers

I was lucky with that 140 Euro shaper. The machine tool dealer needed the space and this thing had been gathering dust for too long. He'd had no enquiries. I just happened to see the advert the day before he was about to ship it to the scrappies. He told me that the machine had spent its entire life in a Dutch state railways workshop. I turned up with a trailer and dragged it home - it weighs around a ton.

The machine has had very little use, but has unfortunately picked up a coat of blue paint over the years, probably done by an apprentice. I might return it to its original grey one of these days, but in the meantime, it's a joy to use.

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...

In the late '70's I was an inexperienced youngster in a machine shop that was already maybe 100 years old or more, as many of their tools seemed to be also. There was a planer that never got used, and never got used, and never got used... and I thought, gee why don't they get rid of this thing and put something useful in that space? Then one day there was a job that no other machine they had could have done, and I saw the light.
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Quote Originally Posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    Bazmac has given permission, so here is a link to a small shaper that Bazmac designed and I did the drawings for him.---Brian
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/da00sk...AZMAC.zip/file
    SMALL ???? That table is 5' 10" wide !!!

Nah--It's 25.4 times smaller than that. It was drawn in millimeters at the request of Bazmac.
    Brian Rupnow

Several times per month I run a specialized shaper, it only does 1 thing which is internal keyseats.
    It is known as a keyseater, it is rude crude and very little fun to operate it will however bang out an excellent 1/2" wide by 1/4" deep keyseat 4" long in 5/6 minutes each.
    This Morrison machine employs a very Steampunk ratchet and pawl device to advance the feed every stroke, it is fascinating to watch when it actually works, this also backs the table off in the up stroke.

This is a machine that may take 1 hour of setup time and then 5 minutes of machining time.

ABOM79 restored a big shaper and uses it quite frequently. Check out his Youtube channel if you're curious about it's operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bented View Post

This is a machine that may take 1 hour of setup time and then 5 minutes of machining time.
    Can you comment on the correct setup and alignment procedure? Mostly I broach but have done lots via manually shaping in the mill or lathe. I've muddle through the set up of those with square and eyeballs and manual layout and its worked out. I guess the issue is hard to know exactly where the extents of the tool bit edges are, how's it done on that machine?

Or own this type of shaper, a gear shaper. At least it has a practical use and the company that support the Fellows brand also rebuilds them with CNC controls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQrliy1uZQE

To me shapers are large clumps of metal designed to put in a corner somewhere and collect dust,,,

lots of people think they need one to "complete their shop" and it very well just might do that and prove itself, like once every couple years or so,,, to me not worth having around iv even broached in keyed parts with my mills quill just baby steps yeah but at least im not tripping over something I never really have needed...

every time iv been in other shops that have had a shaper I look over there and there's about 1/16th " of dust on that damn thing and all kinds of crap piled on top of it, not exactly your "go to" piece of machinery that gets everything done...

yet lots of guys get defensive about it when you ask them "why they have it" and will come up with all kinds of reasons, yet it sits with dust, that's how it works when you buy something you don't really need you find yourself making all kinds of excuses...

And then there is the day you need a 14 inch long internal keyway , or a 16 inch dovetail, and you smile as you clean up the machine..
    Funny how a dovetail only takes a few minutes more to make a 16 inch rather than a 6 inch on a shaper..
    Take a look at the tooling marks on a lot of press brake dies, and see what they are made on..

If you don't like them, don't get one.l it simple.
    The major consideration for me getting one, was best capability for a very low price..