Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Tell me about Shapers

Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    And then there is the day you need a 14 inch long internal keyway , or a 16 inch dovetail, and you smile as you clean up the machine..
    Funny how a dovetail only takes a few minutes more to make a 16 inch rather than a 6 inch on a shaper..
    Take a look at the tooling marks on a lot of press brake dies, and see what they are made on..

If you don't like them, don't get one.l it simple.
    The major consideration for me getting one, was best capability for a very low price..
    Yeah - forgot about those 14" long keyways...

plus the fact is-is at first glance they may not have allot of flat surface areas to hold things but keep in mind they are still great for draping stuff across them, stuff like trouble lights, air hose, shop aprons just to name a few, they are allot more useful then what people give them credit for,,, try keeping your shop apron on the ground sometime and then putting it on with all the swarf attached and let me know how that works out for you... shapers rock!

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    To me shapers are large clumps of metal designed to put in a corner somewhere and collect dust,,,

lots of people think they need one to "complete their shop"
    just slightly less useful than a lathe?

The merits of shaper in the home shop have about zero to do with added capability. The irrefutable argument for is about dollars. Machine acquisition cost to removal rate ratio, and removal rate to tooling cost ratio. Whether to have one or not imo is a question of space

The wife's opinion would be they're all blood useless, get rid of them so we can get cars in the garage
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 06-05-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    Yeah - forgot about those 14" long keyways...

plus the fact is-is at first glance they may not have allot of flat surface areas to hold things but keep in mind they are still great for draping stuff across them, stuff like trouble lights, air hose, shop aprons just to name a few, they are allot more useful then what people give them credit for,,, try keeping your shop apron on the ground sometime and then putting it on with all the swarf attached and let me know how that works out for you... shapers rock!
    Yes, the same can be said for all those treadmills in peoples master bedrooms. Where would you hang your shirts if you didn't have a treadmill or an elliptical exercise machine!
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    Yes, the same can be said for all those treadmills in peoples master bedrooms. Where would you hang your shirts if you didn't have a treadmill or an elliptical exercise machine!
    And where would we get those motors from?

We get it, that if you can't have a lathe in the workshop, a shaper is definitely too much..

It has been said by experienced machinists that "you can make anything you imagine with a shaper - except a profit."
    I had one for several years, a nice 200mm stroke toolroom shaper in excellent condition.

Had some recurring customer work where I needed to cut a number of V-groves in 200mm long plastic parts. Worked beautiful and very fast, came out to a decent hourly rate that way.
    (Later I made a custom v-grove cutter for the mill that worked even faster and better, haha.)

(I dont think that a shaper is particiular good for ID work like splines and keyways, its very clumsy to setup, you dont see much because you are standing/sitting behind the work and on a small machine you always run out of travel/tabelspace. A slotter would be way cooler for that kind of work)

Also nice for cleaning up millscale from hot rolled material. Cheaper to run than a facemill. For the 25Eur a full set of inserts for my facemill costs, I can get a lot of highspeed steel that can be reground about a million times.

I sold mine because of space problems - And it got kinda replaced by the surface grinder.
    A lot of the surfacing I did on the shaper (because it left a very nice finish) has gone to the surface grinder.

Stefan