Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Dumb machining questions. The jig that an engine gets bolted to for machining called?

After honing I went on to the parts I don't particularly like. Deburring the ports. And there are a lot of them in this block, way down deep too.

There are two more ports down in the shadows.

One bored, honed, deburred, scraped, stoned, and cleaned ready for assembly block.

Andy

Assembled the rods and pistons today and stuck them in the block. Everything went smooth, pistons felt very nice going in.

And then the heads go on, before the rod caps even go on, kind of weird but how it is done.

Andy

Flip it over.

Throw the crank in and install rod caps. Make sure all slip ring gaps are facing up, install two bolts loosely into each end plate, and give the bottom of the crank a light smack with a rubber mallet to seat it.

I had to stop because I don't have any primer for the anerobic gasket maker. I will have to run and look for some tomorrow around town. I did clean up the rest of the parts to be assembled so it should go fairly quick once I get the primer and get the case halves together. I may have a day to sit around and drink beer yet before we leave for camping!
    Andy

that's neat, it didn't occur to me that each piston's part of the crankcase has to be separate and sealed from the others (was trying to figure out why the bottom end looked odd). Makes sense though when you think about how a 2 stroke works. How much power does that make at full throttle?

The motor is a 120hp johnson. So I'd assume at least 100hp. haha
    Andy

Thanks for the photos!

After getting the fittings sorted (see thread: I broke these) this morning I ran and picked up the anaerobic primer I needed to continue assembling the motor. Then I assembled the motor.

The camera died right after that pic so thats all I got.

Everything went very smoothly. I had to helicoil one hole from prior abuse last year. Tomorrow I will reset all the carb, timing, linkages, stops, etc. to factory initial settings. Then stick it back on the pontoon and hook everything up and give it a start.

I was thinking today. I have never ever compression tested a rebuilt motor before running it. I just might do that with this one just to see how much (if any) it changes.
    Andy

It runs!

Just on the muffs in the driveway so I can't hear the motor itself (knocky or squeeky noises) but it runs great! I got it pretty well dialed in on the muffs, just have to make any final adjustments in the water with exhaust back pressure and prop resistance and whatnot.

Started right up like I shut if off yesterday. No leaks anywhere (water) and all seems normal. Very promising!

I leave for our first camping trip tomorrow and taking the toon. I already went threw the first two steps of the books suggested "break in procedure" but the rest will have to be on the lake. The kids and a few guests are hoping for tube and kneeboard time, I will have to see hw many hours I can get on it the first couple days.

With any new motor I am never much worried about it starting, running, being alright. What I always worry about is the first WOT abuse, a track day for a car, weekend trip for a snowmobile, tubing/skiing with a boat/pontoon. That WOT for half an hour or more repeated all day long abuse. Thats the part I always worry about, thats when a single flaw makes all the fun end.

But as of now I am happy as a clown!
    Andy

30 gallons of gas ran threw the motor on the camping trip.

Took me a while to dial in on the water. I need to change the thermostats to the updated version I think to get it to be 100%. But all in all she ran great! I never did run it WOT for more than a few minutes yet but I would here and there and it stayed together. I did have a bad plug from the get go and I didn't even fully realize it was dropping a cylinder till I did some test after the first couple hours of running. I could tell it had a slight shake at certain rpm's but it has been so long since I ran the motor I wasn't fully sure if it was normal or not.

I'm pretty happy as well as the wife and kids.

Andy

Thanks for the update Andy, that's a great ending to the story! What could be better than that. Repairing your own outboard with your own machining/wrenching skills in your own workshop and making your family happy at the end of it all! You are the man buddy!
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton