Thread: Post-pacemaker welding?

Default Post-pacemaker welding?

Looks like there may be a pacemaker in my future. I do some small amount of stick and tig welding (Miller 280 SD) in my shop. Wondering if anyone has experience with being able to --- or to not ---weld after getting a pacemaker?

Older pacemaker models had problems with electrical interference. New ones may have better shielding. It's best to check the documentation that comes with your new device and follow it's warnings. Asking the doctor may result in advice based on what he learned in school 20 years ago. On the other hand, it does not hurt to ask the doctor to supply one that allows you to continue welding.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Hi all advice I can offer is never drape a welding lead over your shoulder any where near a pace maker. When using an Air Arc Gouging hand piece with the lead wrapped around my arm the springs in a very expensive wrist watch became red hot and rendered the watch useless. The new generation of pace makers are incredible. A Friend has one fitted and her doctor can collect data from it with no surgery involved.

Yeah, unfortunately that wireless access can also permit unauthenticated write access, so don't annoy any smart people around you... They are getting better with this, but they still tend to be fairly straightforward to hack.

Had a guy at work that outlasted 3 pacemakers, doing HF start TIG on SS. He finally passed on at 85 , still employed....

Quote Originally Posted by velocette View Post
    Hi all advice I can offer is never drape a welding lead over your shoulder any where near a pace maker. When using an Air Arc Gouging hand piece with the lead wrapped around my arm the springs in a very expensive wrist watch became red hot and rendered the watch useless. The new generation of pace makers are incredible. A Friend has one fitted and her doctor can collect data from it with no surgery involved.
    Did you get the watch fixed? Do you still wear it while welding?
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

first thing I did was fire up a plasma cutter. no effect. doc said just don't hug a running chainsaw and you're fine.

Very encouraging, thanks to all for your replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Video Man View Post
    Very encouraging, thanks to all for your replies!
    Did you decide that it's OK, or did you decide to take proactive steps to make sure that your specific model is safe?

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Actually, this is just looking ahead, as I see the time coming but my last cardio visit resulted in wanting to do more tests, so I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I would bring the issue up with the doctor, of course. If/when this occurs I'll get back with whatever information I can get....hopefully, won't be anytime soon!