Thread: Painter's Tape

Default Painter's Tape

A method being used by many for thin stock with some success is to fly cut a backer plate, lay down painters tape. Lay painter's tape on the back of the stock, and super glue the tape together.

I decided to try a new painter's tape. Its called Frog Tape.

"What is it?"

"Its... green."

I have been using regular blue painter's tape and it is ok, but if I run flood coolant it sometimes picks up. The green Frog Tape is supposed to not allow bleeds of paint under the edge like the blue tape can sometimes. I thought, hey maybe it will work with coolant too. If its reacting with the liquid at the edge to form a seal maybe it will do the same thing with flood coolant. Water and SC520.

I make a type of part fairly often called a divider plate. Its used in minnow molds to create a hook slot. It usually has a couple holes drilled in it for placement pins or screws. In the past I've used the blue painter's tape and super glue trick. Then I'd drill the holes first, drill a hole below in the backer plate, and tap that, then shoot screws in. The screws would keep the divider plates from moving while the profile is cut.

I'm doing the same thing with 20 divider plates right now using the green Frog Tape. I left 3 plates unsecured. One at opposite edges of the sheet of stock and one in the middle. They are cut out and all three unsecured plates are still in location. Right now its doing a cleanup pass at full depth. If they are still in location I may risk just using the tape in the future when I don't have holes I can use for clamping.

Clean up pass finished will I was still typing. All plates are still secure.

*** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

I didn't have any luck with Frog tape and superglue. The regular blue tape works well.

John Saunders (NYCCNC) likes powdercoat tape. Has anybody here tried that?
    Mike Henry near Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    I didn't have any luck with Frog tape and superglue. The regular blue tape works well.
    What do you do with plane old blue painters tape to make it work WITH FLOOD COOLANT. I found even name brand blue tape was mediocre at best and would pick up or break loose. As you can see in the photo even smaller parts stayed in place with the Frog Tape when secured by just the glue and tape. I deliberately left parts unsecured with screws on a corner and on an edge as well as one in the middle to test the hold. Most were secured with screws as that ALWAYS works if it didn't pick up during drilling as blue tape OFTEN DOES. This entire job cut in just over 7 minutes and while I did try to minimize the amount of cutting force during the break through pass I ran it at calculated speeds and feeds and took decent depth of cut while slotting. Two flood nozzles were directed directly at the cutter during the entire job.

I found with ANY tape it was best to take a flycut or skim cut to surface the backer, give it a light sand, and wipe it with acetone. Then after laying the tape I burnish it with a piece of round rod I leave in the machine room for that purpose. Of course you can't do all of that when using a wood or MDF backer. I found even blue tape was OK if you were not using flood coolant and you are working on larger parts.

Now if you used the "yellow" delicate hold Frog Tape I suspect it would not hold if you blew on it to hard.

With every part I had to use a stiff putty knife to get under the part and pry them off. ZERO (0) issues with loose parts or even parts that might have been close.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHenry View Post
    John Saunders (NYCCNC) likes powdercoat tape. Has anybody here tried that?
    That's not a bad idea, but I proved to my satisfaction the Green Frog Tape works just fine, and I can pick it up at the local hardware store whenever I need it.

I have had good luck with using double sided masking tape. Not the double sided foam tape( I think that is carpet tape ). The double sided masking tape is the same as painters tape except it has adhesive on both sides. Works great for thin pieces on a surface grinder. I am having a hard time finding it these days.

Sarge41

Quote Originally Posted by sarge41 View Post
    I have had good luck with using double sided masking tape. Not the double sided foam tape( I think that is carpet tape ). The double sided masking tape is the same as painters tape except it has adhesive on both sides. Works great for thin pieces on a surface grinder. I am having a hard time finding it these days.

Sarge41
    McMaster-Carr used to sell 3M 442KW, but I can't find it there now. Their customer support is really good though and they will special order it if it isn't in their current catalog. Uline also sells it here - https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've used it with decent results but 3M might make a better product for machinists and they do have an excellent 800 support number.
    Mike Henry near Chicago

I use 3M 410 mounting tape, Uline sells it and it works well for mist coolant for me. If you want flood coolant, use 3M 8992 tape. It's a silicone adhesive with PET backing and neither absorb moisture or oil. It's similar to what John Saunders uses (I just know 3M tapes well and not other companies' tapes).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I just got some tape from Home Depot called Shurtape double sided REMOVABLE duct tape. Seems to work quite well and leaves no residue on the part.