Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Interns are nice, dumb but nice,

Default The Interns are nice, dumb but nice,

Any folks here with interns or office help.
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

No but I want some. Buxom and blonde. Any spares?

We've got a couple at work now that school is out for the summer. They're as competent as you would reasonably hope for.

If you're not satisfied with the quality of your help, have you considered offering compensation? Promise of a paycheck usually steps up the applicant pool.

We've had our share of interns from several nearby schools and we've had a couple of duds but nothing truly regrettable. Two of our best hires have come through as interns. The internships are unpaid, however the interns are doing it for course credit through their school, so there is some motivation to succeed.

Our pool is mainly from the University of Michigan. They tend to be extremely talented, but lack experience. Dumb? Never. Awesome? Usually. They have tremendous potential and all go on to great careers.

I love working with them, and being part of their development.

Edit: Was this yet another thread started just to complain and moan about something?
    Last edited by Glug; 06-03-2019 at 09:23 AM.

If you regularly have dumb interns, you should review your selection process.

Where I worked, we ended up hiring most of our Engineering interns.

Ed
    For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

I've worked with a bunch. The most amusing one was a lad who was a fervent creationist in a chemistry lab. Okay - one doesn't have to believe in evolution to poke at molecules. What made it amusing is that we never really discussed creationism because we all agreed it would probably be too much of a hot-button topic. But after a week he left a few pamphletes around. So we printed out some papers that were contradictory and left them around. After a few days some papers rebutting the first set of papers got casually left around. This went on for several months... By the end there had been papers on validating the techniques of carbon dating and potassium dating, a short paper on Russells teapot, a paper about the role of falsifiability in epistemology, etc. There were some pretty sophisticated concepts...

And we never talked about it out loud.

We get a lot of young people wanting to do an internship on our horse farm. Some are good and some lets just say get a rude awakening as to real life on a horse farm. They have no idea how much work there is to be done. They sleep real good at night!
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post
    I've worked with a bunch. The most amusing one was a lad who was a fervent creationist in a chemistry lab. Okay - one doesn't have to believe in evolution to poke at molecules. What made it amusing is that we never really discussed creationism because we all agreed it would probably be too much of a hot-button topic. But after a week he left a few pamphletes around. So we printed out some papers that were contradictory and left them around. After a few days some papers rebutting the first set of papers got casually left around. This went on for several months... By the end there had been papers on validating the techniques of carbon dating and potassium dating, a short paper on Russells teapot, a paper about the role of falsifiability in epistemology, etc. There were some pretty sophisticated concepts...

And we never talked about it out loud.
    That's probably actually a good way of going about that discussion, presenting evidence and letting people digest it and respond with their own evidence. Prevents the name-calling and screaming matches that something like that usually devolves into.

Quote Originally Posted by ed_h View Post
    If you regularly have dumb interns, you should review your selection process.

Where I worked, we ended up hiring most of our Engineering interns.

Ed
    And not only how they are selected but also they are being trained. You can't get anything out of them if you don't put anything in. But each person learns differently too. So sometimes they just need a different trainer with a different approach.

I'm the first one to moan and whine about the apparent loss of abilities in expressing a topic clearly, the lousy way that a lot of younger folks write just about anything and so on. But I've also seen a lot of really sharp minded kids, teens and young adults too. But even the best can't give back something good if they are not given the required knowledge first.