Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Interns are nice, dumb but nice,

Is the USA understanding that an Intern is an unpaid graduate as in UK? Some of the previous posts have mentioned school kids, undergraduates, and tradesmen.
    We only have graduate trainees, paid about $30k, on 4 off 6 month placements. Some dive for their phones as soon as you back is turned. One that did well in a placement with our group, came back to us post training, is already a Director. They certainly are variable.
    Mostly I consider University to be an essential stage just to keep the teenagers out of engineering until they are a bit less incapable. When I see some of them and think that kids used to leave school for work at 14 I wonder how dire it must have been for managers back then.

I currently have 4 young engineers working under me with 6 months to 3 years experience. The joke around here is that the engineering department has 45 years of experience. 40 for me and total for the other 4! The one that has been here 3 years complains about how much he makes but doesn't turn out half the work of the other 3. He is buried in college debt yet isn't working to get out from under. One was an intern here the summer before in our shop and I saw him as a slacker. His dad is our shop manager and I didn't want to hire him full time for multiple reasons. My boss hired him anyway and he began working under me. Was I ever wrong! He was hitting it out of the part on every task I gave him. I trained him to do electrical panel design and 3D modeling and he was awesome. I had to find out what changed from the summer before.

What changed was his boss. I found out that what I suspected was true, his dad is a micromanager and not good at that either. So what I saw last summer was dad poorly managing him rather than challenging him. I don't micromanage and I won't tolerate slackers. I help everyone learn and move ahead, even slackers whom I help find a job someplace else. So working under me he spread his wings and flew. Then he left the company because he wants to be PE and no one here was a PE to work under. He was gone about a year and is now back as we have a PE now and the big engineering firm had him doing real grunt work. I am glad to see him back and also upset by it.

I hired his dad and we build a product 100% designed by me including mechanical, electrical, hydraulics and PLC programming. His dad is building my product and doing a terrible job. He has no idea how to manage people and he was supposed to be a precision machinist but I have not seen any work that looks like it came from a precision machinist. He keeps trying to weld both metals and plastics and his welding is terrible. He just doesn't get how to do it. I finally ended it I thought by sending my boss photos of his plastic and metal welds and mine and asking "So which welds do you want on your product?" The other day I came in and he was again welding plastic and doing a terrible job with lots of leaks.

So I got in an argument with him because some parts he made were bad because the plastic pipe they were made from were not round. He said he checked them in every direction with the big calipers and adjusted them round with an internal set of jackscrews. I said you couldn't check roundness with calipers because the part could be a trochoid. He started arguing with me and it became clear that he had no idea of what a trochoid is. Very surprising for a 'precision' machinist. Because of the argument I was blamed for being harsh and asked to work from home for two weeks while they finished and shipped a product. The product left our shop unfinished, untested and went 3000 miles away where it sits in a warehouse waiting for someone to figure out how to get it in the basement of a 40 story building. We have since discovered a number of parts were made wrong on that job. I'm just waiting to be asked to go finish this job in the field. It will take weeks of work. I am going to refuse as I have long ago paid my dues with field work and the problems were all identified by me and weren't fixed before shipping, so not my problem.

When I came back to the office after two weeks I asked one of the other young engineers what he thought of this mess. He reached over and shook my hand and said "It is an honor to work with you and I had no idea I could be so excited about working here!"

My only complaint about the young guys is that we have a done of work to do that simply can't be done without experience and they don't have it yet so things move slowly as a result.

I'm supposed to get an intern in my shop starting on the 10th. We'll see how it goes. They're going to be coming in from one of the local school districts and the only qualification was that they are eligible for free or reduced lunch.

Have any of you ever managed to get an intern for your home shop?

Quote Originally Posted by JRouche View Post
    Yeah, the word dumb is a lil harsh. I guess Im just getting too old an expect some common sense from some of these folks. Maybe I am the dumb one JR
    Im just glad you caught a little static for it, it's only fair since I got persecuted for calling some of the everest climbers stupid... join the club bro...

Quote Originally Posted by JRouche View Post
    Yeah, the word dumb is a lil harsh. I guess Im just getting too old an expect some common sense from some of these folks. Maybe I am the dumb one JR
    Hmm

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Is the USA understanding that an Intern is an unpaid graduate as in UK?
    I can only speak to Engineering interns. In the US, they are commonly undergraduates, and the internships are in the summer months. Usually, they are paid.

Ed
    For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

I *so* misread the title of the thread... I thought it said "The Interns are Mice"

Quote Originally Posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
    I *so* misread the title of the thread... I thought it said "The Interns are Mice"
    I was thinking Monica Lewinsky initially.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    I was thinking Monica Lewinsky initially.

if the shoe fits --- right?