Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TIG cooler pump motor making noise

Default TIG cooler pump motor making noise

I have a small carbonator. It has a molded plastic base, a stainless tank that holds 2-3 gallons, a 48 frame GE motor and a Procon rotary vane pump.

It makes way too much noise when in service.

The first diagnostic I did was to remove the pump from the motor. The noise stayed just the same.

Next I uninstalled the motor and put it on a piece of rubber on the bench. It ran almost silently. Put it back on the base - noisy; removed it again - quiet.

I cleaned the motor mount area. It wasn't very dirty, but I wanted to make sure some dirt wasn't twisting the motor base enough to make it buzz.

I cut out a piece of 0.100 rubber gasket and put it on the base and put the motor on it. The noise is there but is diminished.

I looked very closely at the base to see if it were cracked somewhere. No apparent mechanical damage.

What else can I try? I can't have a TIG cooler that makes a lot of noise.

metalmagpie

I am not sure but I would call joint misalignment.

It sounds like you covered everything. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Quote Originally Posted by JRouche View Post
    I am not sure but I would call joint misalignment.

It sounds like you covered everything. JR
    The noise happens whether the pump is mounted or not. Can't be the motor/pump joint.

Get some of the rubber standoffs with sleeves, just like they use for HVAC compressors. A junk refrigerator would be a good source. The rubber sheet helped but the mounting bolts are not isolated, proper standoffs would do that as well as working better than a rubber sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by metalmagpie View Post
    ... The first diagnostic I did was to remove the pump from the motor. The noise stayed just the same.
    So it's the motor.
    Next I uninstalled the motor and put it on a piece of rubber on the bench. It ran almost silently.
    So it's not the motor.
    Put it back on the base - noisy;
    So it's the motor.
    removed it again - quiet.
    So it's not the motor.
    ... I cut out a piece of 0.100 rubber gasket and put it on the base and put the motor on it. The noise is there but is diminished. ...
    Maybe the motor has a slight vibration that's causing something else to resonate.

is the motor the open drip proof type with the rubber mounted frame? Does it have the removable plastic plugs on the end bushings/bearings? If so, it possibly needs lube. Jim

So it is the motor, but the noise is being coupled to the air by the larger mounting surface. The motor by itself vibrates but does not couple to the air and make "noise".

The motor probably has an issue, but your complaint is the noise itself and not whatever imbalance or problem is in the motor.

So mount the motor on rubber bushings that do not let the motor touch the mounting bolts or mounting surface, and do not clamp the bolts down any tighter than needed.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Get some vehicle sound deadening and stick it to anything that makes noise?

https://www.amazon.com/Kilmat-Deaden...59551979&psc=1
    Andy

Ear plugs work wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by jmm03 View Post
    is the motor the open drip proof type with the rubber mounted frame? Does it have the removable plastic plugs on the end bushings/bearings? If so, it possibly needs lube. Jim
    I would seriously try this or at least check to see if the motor has developed some bearing play, all that's needed is a little play to start rattling things around, was this a slow development ? or did you fire it up one day and it was noisy?

if the former then it might be bearing slop or just so dry it needs a little extra cushion of 90 wt