Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Telephone Tricks-kinda machine related

Default Telephone Tricks-kinda machine related

I may be the last person on planet Earth to not have a cell phone. I like my landline phone, never really wanted a cell. However--If I am in my machine shop machining, or out in my main garage setting up and running an engine, I can't hear the phone ring in my office. After confirming that Rogers, my telephone supplier didn't have any gadgets that would help, I went to our local "Buy and sell" website. Baby monitors---YES!!! Put the sending unit in your kids bedroom, take the receivers to anywhere in the house. If your baby farts, you hear it. Amazing. I bought a sender and two receivers for $40.00. Had to drive down to Toronto to get them, but they work great. I have set up the sending unit beside my office telephone, put one receiver out in the garage and one in my machine shop. Both receivers are on switched circuits that turn on the lights in the garage or in my machine shop. Now if I am in either place when the phone in my office rings, I hear it loud and clear. Damn--Ain't technology great!!
    Brian Rupnow

Quote Originally Posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    ........ Baby monitors---YES!!! Put the sending unit in your kids bedroom, take the receivers to anywhere in the house. If your baby farts, you hear it. Amazing......... Damn--Ain't technology great!!
    Ah......yes. Do you have any neighbors? My mother lived alone so I bought her a scanner so she could listen to emergency calls. It turned out the thing picked up the neighbors baby monitor and she could hear everything. Everything! Even when they were talking in another room.

Ah yes--Neighbors. Neighbour on one side was a nasty old guy, but he died. House is nor for sale. Neighbour on other side seems to have a different housekeeper every time I look over there. Not much going on here that worrries me if the neighbours here it or not.
    Brian Rupnow

Some reason you could not install a telephone in the garage and shop? An additional ringer perhaps?

I wanted it to be wireless. Wanted it cheap. Wanted it to be something I could do by myself.
    Brian Rupnow

Quote Originally Posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    I wanted it to be wireless. Wanted it cheap. Wanted it to be something I could do by myself.
    Seriously, you can build a model engine, but you can't run a phone line into you garage and plug in a $10 garage sale phone?
    Never said wireless was a requirement.

I think some flashing lights should work nicely.

We had video monitors when the kids were small. I used them when boiling sap to check the level in the tank from inside the comfort of the living room . Also set one up to monitor the firebox temperature of my smoker. Handy for a lot of things not baby related, although they were great for that also..... Sadly the monitor part died and I broke it more trying to fix it.....

Quote Originally Posted by hammernanvil View Post
    I think some flashing lights should work nicely.
    They also exist, another item manufactured by Western Electric for use in noisy environments where a ringer could not be heard.

My old cordless phone has a bright red LED that lights up when ringing, and it flashes if there is a new voice message.

I have a Tracfone, which I bought maybe 8 years ago for about $50, and I pay only about $150 for 2 years airtime ($6.25/mo), and I now have almost 5000 minutes which don't expire. The phone also has a decent camera that can take video, as well as a simple browser, calculator, calendar, alarm, stopwatch, voice recorder, notepad, and units calculator. I mostly use it for phone calls when away from home, and text messages, which are often much better than voicemail. I can connect it as mass storage through a USB cable to my computer, to view, upload, and download images.

I don't use it often, and I can get by without it, but it has proven very useful several times when my vehicle has broken down, and communicating with people when I am traveling or otherwise without easy access to a phone. I also have a land line, but since it is via cable (without optional battery backup), the phone won't work during a power failure, so it does not have that advantage of a true copper connection. I've had my same phone number since 1977, so anyone who knows me can find me. I have lost some friends because they abandoned their land lines for cell phones with new numbers that are often hard to look up.