Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Telephone Tricks-kinda machine related

Bri how far is your shop from the house? you can still go wireless with a base unit in the house and some other units that just need a charge base - that's what i do

Quote Originally Posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    I wanted it to be wireless. .
    don't want the cords getting wrapped up in the treadle?

we've fired the bell land line and fired the cable company. Felt oh so good. Monthlies are about same with cell and fiber internet which replaced them.

In business you have to have a cell so its a given monthly cost, made sense to dump the land line. I'd be lost without mine, literally. Not having maps and a glove box full of them or short hand crappy directions alone is worth the price of admission.

I have an extension bell which has a 1 phone load rating on the line which incorporates a mains powered steel "Fire Bell"
    You can hear it whatever you're doing
    If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie_obe View Post
    Seriously, you can build a model engine, but you can't run a phone line into you garage and plug in a $10 garage sale phone?
    Never said wireless was a requirement.
    Phone lines are pretty dead simple. One of my first businesses when I was still a kid was installing phone jacks and small business systems. I had a hunting buddy who worked for our local phone company who taught me the basics, and I had a small 1A2 phone system and test bench wired up in my bedroom to play with and learn how everything worked. It was kind of pedestrian when I think about it now. For most any modern landline its just two wires in parallel.

I would note if you are in a rural area that still has party lines (are there any still?) and your phone does not ring when a call is for somebody else on the line you probably are not allowed to install your own phones. 2 party lines may have used tip ringing or ring ringing, and 4 party lines will have frequency sensitive ringers at 20, 30, 40, and 50 hz. Your average store bought phone would ring at all 4 frequencies. FCC regs allows for prohibiting customers working on their own lines and providing their own phones in those circumstances in the USA, or they used to. Most places have put in small analog carriers or digital carrier systems to replace party lines. With the cell phone more and more replacing the land line there may no longer so much demand ont he cable infrastructure anyway.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

In the uk the cable co is rolling out modem based phones instead of twisted pair. It is assumed that if your modem or cable dies you have a mobile phone with which to report it.

I have always been a telephone equipment enthusiast. I have wooden crank wall phones and display them, but not working. Nice, but I
    thought it would be interesting to at least have the ringers operate. I whipped up a sensitive ring voltage detector that operates a relay which
    turns on a motor driving a crank U magnet generator whenever the landline rings. Located in the living room and shop there is
    old technology still at work. Visitors LOL when the phone rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    In the uk the cable co is rolling out modem based phones instead of twisted pair. It is assumed that if your modem or cable dies you have a mobile phone with which to report it.
    That's kind of old tech at this point. Our local cable provider has been installing full on IP based business systems and home IP phones for many years. I've had one purely IP number I can access with an ap on my cell or a program on my computer for about ten years. I use it for those places that demand a phone number, but I suspect might also sell my number to a robo caller. Originally I had a little adapter that I plugged into a port on my network switch, but I haven't use that in years.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

I have a VOIP "Magic Jack", but never used it. I really don't use the phone very much anymore. Email is my prime communications medium.

Okay--a little follow up. I have the unit which would generally be left in the baby's room parked beside my telephone. It only receives power when my office light is turned on--which it always is if I am in my office. One of the speakers is in my machine shop, and again it is only powered up if my machine shop light is turned on. The other speaker is out in my main garage, and again it only gets power when my shop light and radio are turned on. They work great. I'm happy with the way everything works.
    Brian Rupnow

Brian, You found a solution that works for you and that you are very happy with. There is a personal satisfaction in finding a solution to a problem that cannot be related to money. Congratulations!!