Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Been to an auction today

Awesome purchase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell me about the track torches, please.

metalmagpie

Still unloading, 2 acetylene generator globes, might sell on eBay to the steam punk crowd. 2 track torches, not sure they are all there. Some kind of roller thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Be curious to see that speed reducer setup on bandsaw,what brand also.

The roller I would guess is a "machine skate" for moving heavy machines around a shop.
    Andy

The roller looks kinda like a roller starter for a race bike. A lot of old vintage bikes have the starters removed along with the charging system to reduce weight and you either bump start, or use a roller starter like that. Normally it's a small 5hp gas engine, but an electric might be great if you have paddock power or a good generator. Some guys make them with a truck starter and jump them off a battery.

I only see the one track burner. It is missing the torch, the part that holds the torch and adjusts it up and down, the big arm that goes in and out. And, if I'm not mistaken, the track.

I am a fan of old track burners. That one would require some prodigious restoring.

metalmagpie

The best one is the one with orange cord wrapped around it. It is a 3 wheel affair, the wheel next to the torch tip is the driver. Never seen one like it.
    It might not take too much to get it going.
    The little aluminum one needs quite a bit to make it work.
    Didn’t get any tracks.

Several years ago I bought a real nice Victor track torch, it didn’t have a track with it. I started to build a track got it welded up still needed to cut the grooves. Before I got that done I needed to use it. I took a nice piece of shelf board and ran it through the table saw for some grooves. Track never got done and likely never will.

The thing with the two rollers and the motor drive may be a rotator used for stuff like welding seams around cylindrical tanks and similar stuff. When I saw them they were being used in pairs, one had the motor drive, the other was just a pair of rollers. You set the cylindrical thing (seam tack welded) on the rollers and set it to slowly rotating. The welder could then position themselves such that the weld was at the top and the seam went by and the welder was always in the same position.

The roller thing, this is the tag. Still don’t know what it is for???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk