Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT- Computer back up - Similar to Joe Lee's topic

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post

I have not tried the methods to virtualize an existing installation of windows, but that is a possibility.
    I've done it a couple of times (when buying computer that comes with windows, just because) Using qemu. Every OS up to 8.1/10 threw a tanty. (This isn't the hardware I was installed on, and hell if I could adapt, boo-hoo!)

In no world, ever, would I advise anyone to get,Nor even use, Win10.

Windows 8.1 and Classic Shell. Yes it's a half-ass cobbled together desktop environment with useless features no-one asked for or wanted and the settings are in 20 different places, just because. But, it isn't 100% spyware.

http://itvision.altervista.org/why-w...-10-sucks.html

Run win7 (or XP) in a virtual machine. Freely available Xen is excellent, y.
    so the laptop is running say w10, on which your run Xen....then Xen lets you boot win 7 within Zen, and everything just works, peripherals, hardware etc because its really being driven by W10 underneath Zen? is there a denigration in performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    so the laptop is running say w10, on which your run Xen....then Xen lets you boot win 7 within Zen, and everything just works, peripherals, hardware etc because its really being driven by W10 underneath Zen? is there a denigration in performance?
    For most windows users, virtualbox would be a better choice than xen.

I run linux as my base OS, with win7 and xp in virtual machines. I don't use win10.

Not all peripherals and external hardware will be supported. CPUs have built in features to support virtualization and reduce or eliminate overhead. That support has been improving for nearly 20 years. Some CPUs and graphics card combinations will allow 'bare metal' access to your 3D graphics card from a virtual machine, others will not. Those that do not will have additional overhead.

Your risk to try it is minimal. It is free and well worth your time. If you have never run an OS in a window, it is pretty neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    It was my understanding that Xen is a hypervisor.
    You would install Xen, then set up your guest OSes, Any or all versions of windows, Linux etc.
    You can set up hardware pass-throughs for native performance, but you would need a graphics card dedicated to each OS.

of course you could run them all natively, but you have to reboot to switch.
    http://forums.justlinux.com/showthre...SD-and-Solaris

Quote Originally Posted by mihit View Post
    It was my understanding that Xen is a hypervisor.
    You would install Xen, then set up your guest OSes, Any or all versions of windows, Linux etc.
    I don't want to make this seem complicated because it is really quite easy. In the case of Xen, Linux can be installed first/already, with Xen installed after the fact as just another app, because Xen support is built into the OS kernel. Most windows users should not use Xen.

Windows users should mostly be using virtualbox, which is super easy to install just like any other application. And you can also run linux or macos under windows. It is an oracle product, with an open source version. All are free and have been for many years. There are countless quick start tutorials, text or video.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ide+virtualbox

You can set up hardware pass-throughs for native performance, but you would need a graphics card dedicated to each OS.
    For simultaneous use by multiple OS's, yes. That's a bit of a confusing rathole at this point. Most people won't need it and can ignore it.

Bottom line - you can run a bunch of different OS's at the same time, with many other advantages, just by installing virtualbox. If you have a really old 32bit only OS, there isn't a lot of support with current versions and you would have to do more work to get going.

Get virtualbox here:

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/s...ads/index.html

In the case of Xen, Linux can be installed first/already, with Xen installed after the fact as just another app, because Xen support is built into the OS kernel. Most windows users should not use Xen.
    Interesting. It's been years since I looked at it. I just run debian host and whatever via qemu.

Windows users should mostly be using virtualbox, which is super easy to install just like any other application.
    I always thought VBox had fairly hefty overhead, again, it's been years. But yes, it is EASY.

I'm no computer expert, but I do see what has transpired.

Win 10 and virtually every smart phone will share whatever is put into or through them including conversations. Mined for key words, your data is then sold to others. If you want to keep data private, you have to keep it on a PC that is 100% off line, never connected to internet, and with no wifi, and all wireless disabled.

I bought a prefab chimney lately. Searched on line for a supplier, then called to place the order. Within an hour, my PC and phone are choked with ads for..guess what, chimney parts, mostly the exact parts I ordered over the phone.

JOKE: "Privacy"....ha!.....yes that is the joke and the punch line all in one word.

Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by OaklandGB View Post
    I'm no computer expert, but I do see what has transpired.

Win 10 and virtually every smart phone will share whatever is put into or through them including conversations. Mined for key words, your data is then sold to others. If you want to keep data private, you have to keep it on a PC that is 100% off line, never connected to internet, and with no wifi, and all wireless disabled.

I bought a prefab chimney lately. Searched on line for a supplier, then called to place the order. Within an hour, my PC and phone are choked with ads for..guess what, chimney parts, mostly the exact parts I ordered over the phone.

JOKE: "Privacy"....ha!.....yes that is the joke and the punch line all in one word.

Am I wrong?
    Yes, mostly. You searched the web, cookies were placed storing your search history so you were given adds tailored to you. Clear out your cookies. Not to say the NSA has classified capabilities that probably make everything you said 100% correct.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Just clearing cookies isn't enough. You also need to clear browser data as well (as browsers now will store more data for web sites), and data for the Flash plugin (it might now use the browser data area, but it used to have it's own separate data).

And even then, visiting web sites that you've logged into can link your old cookies to you (as in, forums, web stores, even your ISP may transmit a unique identifier to ad servers, when getting ads for your page, and the ad server will find the data liked to that identifier and now the ad company just gives you your old cookie back, like it was never cleared). They may also do it based on your ip address (depending on what ISP you have, your IP address may remain the same for as long as you have an account with the isp).

Your browser also sends out a bunch of information, on request, about the specific browser being used (as in specific browser and version number), what plugins are installed and their version numbers, list of installed fonts, screen sizes, and other stuff, and ad companies have been using browser fingerprinting (as in, combining all this data they download about your computer, to identify it as "your" computer). It's not 100% unique, but it is remarkably close.

Quote Originally Posted by OaklandGB View Post
    [-snip-]

Am I wrong?
    Not wrong about Windows, but wrong about the possibility of not having your data mined.
    I keep my data private, and online. It's called "not using things that are known to be vulnerable and treating them as safe"
    Windows 10 is spyware, pure and simple. It pretty much says so on the box. If you chose to use it, don't complain.
    Android devices are unsecure by default. They can be hardened.

Is there a risk? Yes. Am I 100% immune from attack? No. Do I feel like I need to carve things into stone tablets for security? Also no.

And sheesh, I can't even remember the last time I saw advertising online...(you get it straight to your start menu. huh? )