Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT- Computer back up - Similar to Joe Lee's topic

Default OT- Computer back up - Similar to Joe Lee's topic

Just ordered a new computer after my hard drive started making occasional clicking noises. Current laptop is about 7 years old (Win 7 os) and has been dropped a few times. New is Win 10 pro. If I create an image of my current Win 7 750/680 Gig hd that has only 397 gb used, can that image be used to put Win 7 and all my other programs on the new computer that has a 500 gb hard drive? I would image the Win 10 system so I could go back to that if desired. Have never imaged a drive so no practically nothing about the capabilities.

Macrium Reflect Free works well for imaging disks and the price is right. It is fairly self explanatory plus there is lots of help available on the net.

Since your disk is making noise it would be good to make a backup soon. It's always good to have a backup in case of a system failure. Macrium Reflect can make incremental backups once you have a full backup; incremental backups capture only what has changed so they're faster. Assuming you're backing up about 400GB onto a USB disk, it will take a while for a full backup ....

If Win7 came with your laptop you likely have an OEM license. Transfer to another machine may not be easy/possible, MS can get stuffy about this. If you purchased Win7 separately then you have a Retail license which is easier to transfer.

It would be helpful to establish a MS account and link the Win10 license on your new machine to this account, see:
    https://www.wpxbox.com/reactivate-wi...ging-hardware/
    This is especially helpful when you have a Retail license and update the motherboard as I did recently - Win10 automatically accomodated the change, just took a few minutes extra on the first boot while it changed drivers, etc.

If it isn't possible to move Win7 to your new machine then you might consider replacing the disk in your old machine with an SSD, they're modest cost now and give new life to old machines. One detail about SSD's is that they last longer if there is considerable free space to accommodate load leveling - I've had an SSD for 4 years now, it's about 1/3 full and reports it has lost 1% of its life expectancy.

Good luck, it can be a headache. I'm waiting for my USB to SATA interface to arrive. I'm going to give it a shot as some of the guys advised me to.
    The data is still there on the drive.

JL..............

Any time I get a new puter I always use the old one as the "backup". I would put everything on the computer and then put it away for safe keeping.

However lately I have been thinking of getting one of those external hard drives that you can plug into with a usb cord.

The biggest one for me is my shop computer that I use on the cnc table. Some file drawings in that computer took me weeks to draw up and there are thousands of cut files on it. I lost that computer once already years ago over winter and only had a fraction of the files on it backed up. Now I try to make it a point to copy all those files to my house computer every couple months.

If I had the external drive I could stick everything on it and put it on the shelf. The old computers work well for backups but they are old computers for a reason and aren't 100% reliable.
    Andy

Thanks for the replies. This computer is still working. The new one is going to take about a week to get here. I have all my data files backed up in at least two locations, MY Documents folder is about 12.5 gigs, fit on a 16 gig thumb drive.

I use clonezilla... Hasn't failed me yet...

https://clonezilla.org/

sam

I just up graded to a 1TB SSD from a 256GB with a Win7 OS. My different softwares all asked for confirming that I had licenses for them. Some hassel but I have all those recorded. You are at the point where Win7 will not be supported after 2019. So maybe Win10 should be your next OS. While I think Win7 is great, some of the new software is requiring win10. Win10 is still causing problems with each up date and you can put off the up date but still if you need protection all the virus's Win10 could be your friend. I ordered my laptop with Win7 but came with Win10 ready to install if I wanted to upgrade. Still not ready to make the jump but win7 will go away and we just need to change when its time. I run 2 1TB WD externals and back those up with 2 4TB WD externals. If I can I order software on disks to that I can reinstall at my choice. We don't use film anymore and we don't crank start our cars so if we live long enough change will occur.

I don't bother much with the system stuff since if the board blows I'll need a whole new 'puter. What I really want to protect is my files and pictures. In particular the hundreds of hours of CAD work I've done over the years.

Many years ago I found a sweet little freeware program called Synchback. It runs on a pre-set time and can run on any interval you wish. Mine is set for once a day during the quiet hours. You also set the source and target directories. And best of all after being set to run once a day it's been doing so for over 4 years now on this machine. And all without any further input from me. When I think about it about once ever 3 or 4 months I check to see if it's still running. It has not failed since I started using it around 12 years ago. And it's STILL AVAILABLE.

To make this work I generally use a second physical drive. But my second drive puked about a year ago. So now I'm using a 64Gb USB memory drive as the destination drive. Actually two of them. And about ever 3 months or so I swap them so even if I get hit by some odd ransomware or other I've still got one that isn't TOO old. And when I'm doing more CAD I'll make the swap roughly weekly.

All the rest would not be much of a PITA to do over. Annoying for sure, but by that time it's time for an update to the hardware anyway.
    Last edited by BCRider; 06-10-2019 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Just ordered a new computer after my hard drive started making occasional clicking noises. Current laptop is about 7 years old (Win 7 os) and has been dropped a few times. New is Win 10 pro. If I create an image of my current Win 7 750/680 Gig hd that has only 397 gb used, can that image be used to put Win 7 and all my other programs on the new computer that has a 500 gb hard drive? I would image the Win 10 system so I could go back to that if desired. Have never imaged a drive so no practically nothing about the capabilities.
    I'd thought upgrading a new laptop from 10 to 7, but the problem there is likely hardware with no Win7 driver available. I can't think of anyway of cloning then running off that - you'd have to install Win 7. Bit of a racket.

One thing I would suggest with the new machine is two drive partitions, say C and D. C is everything operating and installed programs and D is everything that is yours. Backup, cloning and moving to a different machine becomes so much easier this way

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    I'd thought upgrading a new laptop from 10 to 7, but the problem there is likely hardware with no Win7 driver available.

One thing I would suggest with the new machine is two drive partitions, say C and D. .. Backup, cloning and moving to a different machine becomes so much easier this way
    Run win7 (or XP) in a virtual machine. Freely available virtualbox is excellent for windows users. The hardware is a non-issue. If you find a corporate version it won't even prompt for keys at install. Once you have an image created you can easily clone multiple versions and copy them to other machines.

You can also allocate space to create an unlimited number of virtual drives for data.

I have not tried the methods to virtualize an existing installation of windows, but that is a possibility.

Edit: Rec virtualbox over xen for native windows users
    Last edited by Glug; 06-11-2019 at 08:38 AM.