Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OT: Ladder lift or hoist for shingles or other items

I determined that my 32 foot ladder, not extended, would reach the porch roof with sufficient angle to reach the roof and allow the dolly to ride on one rail. All the roofs on my houses can be reached with this contraption, so I didn't worry about how to facilitate the transition from the outer rails to the inner rails with the ladder extended. But one of the posts above mention making an angle piece to allow a smooth transition. I can see several ways I could improve this device, but since the shingles have been moved to the roof, no need to do extra work.

When we pulled the old shingles off the other house for that repair, I noticed a Mylar strip on the underside, glued on with black adhesive, and it said "DO NOT REMOVE". The shingles removed from the porch roof (installed at a different time by a different roofer), had the strip, but without the warning. It was easy to remove, so I thought the adhesive should be exposed for additional sealing. Just to make sure, I called GAF, and the technical advisor said that strip was only for shipping, so the exposed adhesive strips would not activate, and the Mylar strip does not need to be removed. I'm learning a lot about roofing technology - it's not rocket science, but it is not stupid simple, either. Hopefully I'll get this roof finished in the next couple days (now that the rain has stopped), and it should last longer than I wil!

When I had new shingles put on my house 6 years ago, the lumber yard where I bought the shingles, brought a truck with a crane on it and they put all the shingles right up on and along the ridge. They did the same thing last year when my next door neighbor had his roof done.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.

Last year I had new shingles put on the roof of my house. My only stipulation was that I never ever wanted to have anymore things done to the roof of this house as long as I live. $6200 later, I have a beautiful roof. If I was 20 years younger I'd have done it myself.
    Brian Rupnow

Yeah, if I were going to do the whole house, having the shingles delivered and put on the roof with a crane or conveyor belt would have been a good option, but it probably adds $100 or so to the cost. But the porch is just about 250 square feet for which I bought 7 bundles at 33 SF each. That's only 230 SF so I might need to get a couple more bundles. The cost so far:

Roofing felt, 2 rolls at $20 each... $40
    Starter strip, 33 feet, $22
    Shingles, 7+2 bundles at $34 each... $306
    Hip/ridge shingles, $55
    Drip edge, 10 foot, 6 pieces at $3.78... $23
    Roofing nails, 2 boxes at $3.45... $7
    ===============================
    Total: $453

We put the drip edge on today, along with some other fiddly stuff like fascia boards and opening for power line. The porch is 28 feet wide and 8 feet deep, so that is 44 feet. I bought 6 pieces of the drip edge, which should have been more than enough, with one piece extra. However, we were one short, and had to re-use one piece of drip edge. We couldn't find the two extra pieces. I can't figure out what happened to the extra pieces. If the drip edge were actually 8 feet long, there still should have been enough for the whole job. All I can figure is somebody stole two pieces, but they would only have maybe 10 cents scrap value. There has been a weird old guy wandering around the neighborhood, and John said somebody had removed a storm window in the house where he lives down the street. So maybe I'll need to be more vigilant.