Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Blast from the Past--Radial Engine

Default A Blast from the Past--Radial Engine

I had lost my 3D cad files of the Webster engine due to a computer crash, so last night I went thru about 100 old CD Roms hoping I had saved it to a disc. I never found it, but I did find a disc with all of the files to a radial engine I had built about 10 years ago. This is an amazing little engine which runs on compressed air, and is fun to build and to run. I am attaching a picture of the cad file I found last night, and a free download link to the drawings.--Have fun.---Brian
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/uzhvza...ngine.zip/file
    Brian Rupnow

That's a really nice looking engine. I've downloaded your file and looked at a few of the pages already.

Just wondering from looking at the 3D and the first couple of drawings. For added giggles would it take a lot of work to convert it to a rotary setup?

I'm thinking the crank gets fixed to the vertical post of the stand. The cylinders with the star plate would become their own flywheel. You've already got the air flowing up through the star plate. So it would only require that the plate be a bit thicker or use a pressed in longer bearing boss for added support and to hold a couple of seals. Might make for an interesting variant?

Brian, that is cool.
    How did you know I was about to ask you about radials??
    You have built so many engines I was about to ask you about this:
    http://www.agelessengines.com/

Ringo--the engines in that link you posted are far more complex than the little radial I built.---Brian
    Brian Rupnow

BCRider--If you think you can do it, then by all means do. It was over ten years ago that I built that, and without setting my head on fire I don't know if what you are suggesting is possible or not.
    Brian Rupnow

A video of the engine running---
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dib1JCKUmAc
    Brian Rupnow

Brian,

Have you ever considered building a turbine engine? I am just fascinated with them.

Another Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Before the war, the Bristol aero company made some 3 cylinder radials, they do look weird.

Turbo engines don't interest me much. I like old school industrial revolution stuff.
    Brian Rupnow

I love the bubble machine ! ! It must be a real hit if you're demoing any of your "steam" engines outside.

I'm shamed to admit that I've yet to build any sort of engine. But I'm keen to start if I can clear up any number of other things. I think I need a warmup. And making ONE cylinder of this engine to start with and learn the "tricks" would be a good start. Then the radial or rotary.... or maybe both sitting on the same board..... OK, now I'm leaping ahead again.