Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Blast from the Past--Radial Engine

Sid--You do beautiful work.--Can you post a video of that rotary engine working?-Brian
    Brian Rupnow

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Those would be rotary engines, from WW1. Most of them had no throttle either, was controlled by Magneto's

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    I always thought a rotary engine was a Wankel, like what Mazda had at one time.

Speaking of Wankel's have any of you model builders made one?

JL............

Quote Originally Posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    Sid--You do beautiful work.--Can you post a video of that rotary engine working?-Brian
    Brian- Thank you!

I did have one somewhere, but can't find it now. I'll have to make a new one.
    With the prop on it, cutting the air, the sound reminds me of the Cub my daughter soloed in.

Sid

Sid, I also want to complement you on the quality of your work. That's one FINE looking bit of kit ! ! And yeah, it would be great to hear and see it running. Did you make it from your own plans?

Brian, during all the rotary comments I think I changed my mind about looking to convert your design to rotary. While I think it could be done I found in watching your brief video and that for a V8 wobbler on YT that much of the fascination for this style of project is based on watching the motion of all the jugs. And on a spinning engine that would become difficult to appreciate unless run at a very low speed.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    Sid, I also want to complement you on the quality of your work. That's one FINE looking bit of kit ! ! And yeah, it would be great to hear and see it running. Did you make it from your own plans?

Brian, during all the rotary comments I think I changed my mind about looking to convert your design to rotary. While I think it could be done I found in watching your brief video and that for a V8 wobbler on YT that much of the fascination for this style of project is based on watching the motion of all the jugs. And on a spinning engine that would become difficult to appreciate unless run at a very low speed.
    Yes, it is from my own design.
    I'll get a video of it tonight and post the link.

Thanks, Sid

Quote Originally Posted by old mart View Post
    Before the war, the Bristol aero company made some 3 cylinder radials, they do look weird.
    Do a google image search on "Lenape Papoose engine"

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post

Here is the video:

https://i.imgur.com/OkyVJyI.mp4

If you turn on the sound, you can hear the cool sound!

Sid

that's really cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    that's really cool
    Thanks, Ringo

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    I always thought a rotary engine was a Wankel, like what Mazda had at one time.

Speaking of Wankel's have any of you model builders made one?

JL............
    In more modern times, you are correct!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk