Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: A Blast from the Past--Radial Engine

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,480

    Default

    Sid--You do beautiful work.--Can you post a video of that rotary engine working?-Brian
    Brian Rupnow

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Those would be rotary engines, from WW1. Most of them had no throttle either, was controlled by Magneto's

    Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    I always thought a rotary engine was a Wankel, like what Mazda had at one time.

    Speaking of Wankel's have any of you model builders made one?

    JL............

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Skaneateles, ny
    Posts
    1,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    Sid--You do beautiful work.--Can you post a video of that rotary engine working?-Brian
    Brian- Thank you!

    I did have one somewhere, but can't find it now. I'll have to make a new one.
    With the prop on it, cutting the air, the sound reminds me of the Cub my daughter soloed in.

    Sid

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Chilliwack, BC, Canada
    Posts
    5,384

    Default

    Sid, I also want to complement you on the quality of your work. That's one FINE looking bit of kit ! ! And yeah, it would be great to hear and see it running. Did you make it from your own plans?

    Brian, during all the rotary comments I think I changed my mind about looking to convert your design to rotary. While I think it could be done I found in watching your brief video and that for a V8 wobbler on YT that much of the fascination for this style of project is based on watching the motion of all the jugs. And on a spinning engine that would become difficult to appreciate unless run at a very low speed.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Skaneateles, ny
    Posts
    1,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    Sid, I also want to complement you on the quality of your work. That's one FINE looking bit of kit ! ! And yeah, it would be great to hear and see it running. Did you make it from your own plans?

    Brian, during all the rotary comments I think I changed my mind about looking to convert your design to rotary. While I think it could be done I found in watching your brief video and that for a V8 wobbler on YT that much of the fascination for this style of project is based on watching the motion of all the jugs. And on a spinning engine that would become difficult to appreciate unless run at a very low speed.
    Yes, it is from my own design.
    I'll get a video of it tonight and post the link.

    Thanks, Sid

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    31,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old mart View Post
    Before the war, the Bristol aero company made some 3 cylinder radials, they do look weird.
    Do a google image search on "Lenape Papoose engine"
    1601

    Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Skaneateles, ny
    Posts
    1,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    Sid, I also want to complement you on the quality of your work. That's one FINE looking bit of kit ! ! And yeah, it would be great to hear and see it running. Did you make it from your own plans?

    Brian, during all the rotary comments I think I changed my mind about looking to convert your design to rotary. While I think it could be done I found in watching your brief video and that for a V8 wobbler on YT that much of the fascination for this style of project is based on watching the motion of all the jugs. And on a spinning engine that would become difficult to appreciate unless run at a very low speed.
    Here is the video:

    https://i.imgur.com/OkyVJyI.mp4

    If you turn on the sound, you can hear the cool sound!

    Sid

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    341

    Default

    that's really cool

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Skaneateles, ny
    Posts
    1,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    that's really cool
    Thanks, Ringo

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    I always thought a rotary engine was a Wankel, like what Mazda had at one time.

    Speaking of Wankel's have any of you model builders made one?

    JL............
    In more modern times, you are correct!

    Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •